Boar Break In Trick

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jay_gatz, Sep 8, 2021.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried this:

https://sharpologist.com/quicker-way-break-boar-brush/

I gave it a whirl on what I thought were already broken in Boars, and did notice a marked improvement in softness with this mornings shave. I used my Omega 81052. I also did this with my Semogue 620, which is up for tomorrow's shave. I am also going to try this with my brand new Semogue 830, that I received yesterday, so I can see the difference it makes with a brand new brush.

Frijolero and Ron R like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I love using boar brushes, but I prefer to break them in through repeated use like our forefathers did. I also buy jeans that look new and put my own rips and holes in them. :p

However, I wash/defunk a new boar knot several times before the first shave and that softens 'em up a bit. I'm not as tough and resilient as our forefathers in this department. :happy097:

Frijolero, BigMike, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. jay_gatz

That was my minimum treatment before. Had to get the stink out. Multiple lathers usually take care of that. BTW, I see your icon is a watch, as well as your user name, are you a watch nerd too? Is that a Hulk?

Frijolero, brit and wristwatchb like this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I tend to just use the brush to break it in. Usually, the first time I get a new bit, I just lather it up with a soap that has a stronger scent profile then wash and immediately go into a shave with it. Then just further uses get me the results I like. Patience.

Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

That procedure works well and have used it already, I have another one boar brush coming in today and will be doing the same treatment. Some fellows like to break it through a lot of use, but to me the sooner the better for a boar brush to get broke in.
    I take mine out of the cold water ever 24 and brush dry on a towel and right back into the fridge for another 24 hours for 3 intervals and it is like 70-80 % broke in. Some fellows claim not to but it in the fridge and just leave it out in a glass of water(fridge works for me). Make sure to only go up 3/4 of the way of the boar bristles so not to ruin wood by splitting from to much moisture or undo the glue bond of the knot.
    If the boar brush has a funk smell I will shampoo it also and then into the cold water in the fridge for 24 hrs.
    Works well, nothing like a well broke in boar brush with those soft split hairs.

Frijolero and jay_gatz like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Like others, I break 'em in just by using 'em.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Bought this new "Viper" boar brush from Yaqi just recently, the handle is just marvelous in that sparkling glitter in the deep green with white clouded wisps. Feels good in the hand and now I'm going to do use my break in method to bring it to a nice level of enjoyment should be good in 2-3 days for the first shave. Cleaned it with shampoo 5 times and lost about 15 hairs which is normal for a boar? This one has a slight boar funk but we will see how it smells as the days go on.
    I just put it in the fridge for the first 20-24 hrs & tomorrow will take it out for a few more cleanings and will dry off with the towel and will do that approximately 3 times and should one great boar brush for many years.
    Yaqi #1 boar brush NEW Viper.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Frijolero and brit like this.
  8. jay_gatz

So here is the comparison of new and one 24 hour soak with a 10 minute towel dry:

IMG_0231.jpg IMG_0235.jpg

This had very little Boar smell, but I went ahead and did a test lather:

IMG_0236.jpg IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg IMG_0240.jpg

I think it definitely made a difference. That is Prep soap. Easily enough for a three or four pass shave. One cycle may be enough...that's pretty good lather.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Frijolero, Ron R, brit and 3 others like this.
  9. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Damn, that is a good looking brush.

jay_gatz likes this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I like sport watches. How about you? The watch in my avatar is a Submariner Date ref: 16610. The gent that took it gave me permission to use it. More of his collection here: https://watchwallpapers.com/ I occasionally post my watches in this thread with some of the other watch nerds here.

Enjoy your new boar brush! :)

Frijolero likes this.
  11. jay_gatz

I definitely have a watch AD. Sport watches, especially divers are big for me. That's a great lume shot on that Subbie. I have a no date, but with the maxi dial and ceramic bezel. I also like the orient stuff, and seiko.

wristwatchb likes this.
  12. jay_gatz

That's quite a collection your friend has. I have been toying around with the idea of one of these:

[​IMG]

Need to sell some software first though...

Enrico and wristwatchb like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

14. jay_gatz

15. jay_gatz

So this morning was the 620's go. Great shave, lot's of lather produced. Great backbone, pillowy soft tips with no scritch.
    Semogue 620.jpg

830 is up tomorrow. That will be the interesting one as these two were older, and probably had been about half broken in. The 830 was brand new and is getting the soak towel treatment.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Tedolph and wristwatchb like this.
  16. jay_gatz

So here is a comparison between the first and second 24 hour cycle:

[​IMG] IMG_0252.jpg

It's on deck for tomorrow morning.

GatorJoe and Ron R like this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Looking really good, A nice black back drop would give a better view of the split ends. The spit ends are really the softer enjoyable part of scrub and painting that I enjoy. I'm on day 2 of my cold water treatment. I took the brush out for a good cleaning with shampoo again and a extra towel drying to start the bristle split ends . Back in the fridge for another 24 hrs, only lost 1 hair this go around. This brush might of had a little treatment prior from the factory? Not much of any Funk scent noticeable.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  18. jay_gatz

Yeah, after posting I also realized I should have tried to frame the photo similarly as well. Oh well, I'm not the best photographer.

Ron R and Enrico like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Not trying to hijack the tread just adding to Jays method of soaking a new or used boar brush to enjoy it quicker. I take these goofy pics to explain better what I'm saying because explaining with words might seem confusing. I had a thread on another forum explaining similar procedure.
    It's been a few months and just bought another Yaqi "Viper" Boar brush and was impressed how doing my simple quick break in method. So when I bought the Viper I wanted to use the method a second time.
    I will be using the Viper tomorrow morning for a shave as it is going through the 3rd day of final soaking in the fridge(2 day of soaking, cleaning and brushing on dry towel to spit end the hairs). You do not have to soak in the fridge some claim if you do not want to and just soak it cup on the counter top. The red handle boar brush was bleached treated more and the viper less bleaching and with slightly thicker knot packed IMO & maybe possibly thicker pig bristle. Just thought I would share a little more information on results of 2 boar treatments. The Viper is about 70-80% broke in and needs some use to finish the job. The red handle boar brush is working well and very enjoyable to use No hair bristle loss anymore with the red handle brush. The Yaqi viper did lose a few (16)hairs on first cleaning and second cleaning loss (2) hairs and has mostly stopped.
    Yaqi #1 Viper 24mm boar brush (3).jpg
    Yaqi boar  brushes comparison 3.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Nice brush. I see the handle and label have been updated. But if the knot is the same as mine then get ready for the splay. Mine is probably 5 or 6 years old, and used under 50 times but see the bloom. I used this brush about a week ago and it takes a couple of days to dry. Great brush as I’m sure yours will be.
    Edit: apologies, I thought by appearance yours was a 830, then I reread your post. It will probably bloom out more though I haven’t had your model brush.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021