Boar Brush Choices

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by fishcrow, Aug 12, 2011.

1. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I am looking to expand my den by adding a boar brush. I have been looking at the Omegas #10051,10049,or 11047. Any thoughts on these, or other suggestions, or other makers?

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The 49 is loved by many, including BG, but it is a lot of brush. I have the 49 and the 51. For me, the 51 is better than the 49 because the 51 has a shorter loft and handle and is easier to manipulate about the face.

3. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

The 10049, while a great brush has too tall a loft for me. The 10051 or the 81056 are the perfect combination of knot diameter and loft (for me). Good Luck in your search.

It appears that Jeff replied while I was typing. I'm slow like that.:ashamed001:

What he said :signs011:

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

How big of a brush do you like? Do you prefer small or large knots? Do you face or bowl lather?

I have the 49 and 11047. I haven't had the pleasure to use a 51, but I have had a mid size (10005) in the past. The 49 is a large brush with a good bit of loft. It is a great brush that I use to face lather with both soaps and creams and have become enamored with it recently. If you like large brushes, give either the 48 or 49 a try. They get pretty soft and broken in within just a few weeks and reach their pinnacle within 6 months. All of the Omega's I have tried have a bit of pig funk that takes a few days to go away. You will have a hair or two break through out the life of the brush. Unless it becomes excessive, don't get overly annoyed, it's just part of using the brush.

The 11047, at least the version I have, isn't a pure boar knot. If you are looking at a pure boar version, then disregard the following as I don't have any experience with the boar version. Even though the handle is marked Pure Setola, it is a mix of badger and boar. For the price, it is a nice brush. If you have any arthritis or dexterity issues, the handle is small. Mine replaced my Wee Scot in my travel kit. Now if you don't have any issues with your hands, the 11047 can be a nice brush. It is on the small side, but can easily do 3 passes for me. If you are looking for a badger boar mixed knot, give the Vulfix Grosvenor a look. They are really nice brushes, with a nice comfy lathe turned handle. I gave one to my pop for father's day a year ago and he couldnt be happier. They are $25=$30.

The 51 is in the mid sized range of Omega boars and they are really nice all arounders. The only one I have had experience with is the 10005 beechwood handle boar. It was a great size. If I remember correctly the knot was 24mm with about a 55mm loft. It worked just as well as any of the other Omega brushes I have used. I just prefer a larger brush and gave it to a friend that was just starting with wet shaving. Besides the 05, there is also the 65, 66 and some other mid size knots that excellent performers. The mid size one is probably a safe bet unless you like large brushes. Like anything else, this is just my opinion and Im sure some will agree and others will have a different perspective of things. The nice thing about the Omega boars, is that they do not break the bank and there is enough variation in their product line that you can find something you like.

Semogue also gets lots of good press. I don't have any personal experience with them, but you might want to take a look at them. Good luck with your search. I hope this rambling may help you.

5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I am bowl lather.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I can only speak about the 49 - I like it.

As a side, I don't believe there are "bowl" brushes, "face" brushes, "soap" brushes, or "cream" brushes - only brushes that you like to use however you like to use them.

7. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the larger Pro's really, I'm on the banded boar kick, they work better and feel softer to me...

I'm assuming they're treated more since they have a faux badger ring of black in the knot.

I agree with Steve you can pretty much get away using just about any brush they way you want, there are some exceptions though...

8. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

My go-to brush is the Omega 66. Not too big, not too small, just right. Makes plenty of lather for at least 4 passes, for me. I also have a Pro 48. It is a monster. I bowl lather with it, and can easily create enough lather - with the usual amount of soap or cream - to paint my face, head, shoulders and half of the bathroom.... for at least 723 passes. I'm considering the small 47 for travel. I've also got my eye on a 98 - the long handled pro model.

9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I have been looking over the various makes of boars, was not aware how many different makers of boar brushes there are. Omega appears the easiest to find, Semouge is difficult to find, Vulfix has a couple nice boars, even Edwin Jagger has couple.

What would be a good knot size that is not a monsterly big?

10. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I would say 22-24mm and a loft no larger than 55mm...

11. swarden43

What size knot do you like in badger? Once you get a good boar broken in, they can be as soft as a badger and behave very similarly. A boar will have a bit more backbone, though, so a longer (higher) loft shouldn't scare you off if you're afraid of getting a floppy brush.

12. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

My Badger has a 24mm knot.

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I actually prefer the taller loft of the Omega 10048 for a boar brush. Really don't care for the shorter lofts, but I'm not shaving my face, of course.

14. swarden43

But do you like it?
    Too small? Get a larger knot.
    Too large? Get a smaller knot.
    Just right? Get the same size knot.

15. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Thanks for all the great advice. I am going choose one soon. I will post what I buy, then I chronicle it as I break in.

16. swarden43

Cool! Looking forward to seeing it and hearing how it does for you.

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I'm a tad late I suppose but I'd like to add that the Omega 48, while very big, is a dream to use. So soft and utilitarian. I use it in all conditions and it performs. It is a bit big though but I face lather it all the time.

Also, I would like to throw the vintage Eveready and Rubbersets in as options too. I just recently picked up one of each of these and they are wonderful little boar brushes. Don't be afraid of the old antique store boar! And if you get it and hate it, it opens you up to reknotting it with a nice new knot of your choosing :happy093:

18. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Everyone thank you for your help. I decided to pull the trigger for a Omega 48. I ordered form Shoebox.
    battle.munky thanks for your comments on used boars never gave that a thought.

battle.munky likes this.
  19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

No prob dude. You can, at least I have recently, pick them up for the $5 range and they both have turned out really amazing. I got a really nice handle on one that is a badger/bristle mix and the knot turned out to be not so good so I am currently awaiting a knot for it. My first reknot. I'm so excited....almost giddy :lyrtuy5:

20. Dipesh

Dipesh Member

I've used a 49. It's a lovely brush but I'd say it's more suited for bowl lathering rather than face. You can still face lather as it does have a nice back bone but my face is quite small!