Boar brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Lucy7, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Lucy7

Lucy7 New Member

Has anyone noticed that they get better lather from a hard soap using a boar bristle brush? I've been using my Dovo brush with Williams and wasn't getting anywhere fast. Then I figured I'd try the boar brush I got cheap at a pharmacy since it was stiffer and could get more soap on it. I lathered straight on my face and it was one of the best lathers I've gotten from that soap ever (except for the brush shedding on my face).

2. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

Had you been lathering on your fact with the badger brush as well?

I've never been able to get good results from my Omega boar brush, though I seem to be in the minority.

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I use an Omega Boar brush for soaps frequently. The loft on this brush helps a lot. I do not need to use it as often since I have some badger brushes that work quite well with my current soap technique.

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

When I first started using a brush, all I had was a Col. Conk boar brush, which I used with their Bay Rum soap. I don't use it anymore, but I have a couple of badger brushes that are a bit "scritchier" that are good for soaps.

I have a small pure badger brush (Taylor of Old Bond Street P373 "mini") and the Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger brush is also a little sturdier.

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    My omega boar is still one of my favorites, and yes, it lathers hard soaps much better for me.

Any badger is capable of the same amount of lather IMHO, but a boar is more resistant to errors in technique with a hard soap.

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I think that sums it up.

Now with that said............, however, I do feel that a badger brush will create more "voluminous" lathers both with soap and cream.

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Tough to say. I can get huge lathers out of my Omega. It doesn't hold as much water but the loft makes up for it. Then again, I'm a latherholic and like to make 5-6 passes worth of lather. Overkill, I know. :D

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Don't diss the boar!

I could use a boar for the rest of my life and be happpy (but I say the same for the Kent BK8 too.:rofl).