Board strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rusty blade, May 16, 2021.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

When I first started honing a number of years ago I purchased a board strop. I used it for several years and then switched to a hanging strop. Recently I have been restoring some antique store SRs that I accumulated and I rediscovered my board strop. What a pleasure to use! I realize in many ways I prefer a board strop to a hanging strop. The board forces you to keep the blade perfectly level and to go slow. Not that I am reckless with a hanging strop. The board strop encourages a more deliberate stopping motion.
    Anyone else out there prefer a board or paddle strop?

Karl G, Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I find I only use a board/paddle strop when traveling, but it works. It does feel weird though, not bad, just a different sound.

3. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I've often wished I had one, but I never seem to find them either a) in salvageable condition, or b) that I can afford. I'm contemplating making one using the leather I replaced on my Whipped Dog hanging strop last year. (Yeah, I didn't throw it away... You never know when it might come in handy )

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Karl G, Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use one for travel on the rare times I take a straight with me. I use a paddle strop when I hone, I use it between changing stones.

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I used a paddle strop for years before I finally tried a hanging strop (fairly recently.) I still use the paddle strop for some light touch ups with paste since it has interchangeable surfaces. However, I was surprised to find I like the hanging strops better. I think it’s probably a combination of better leather, an easier height, and the longer strokes they allow. :happy088:

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Lay your hanging strop (leather only) on the edge of a table. Problem solved, zero cost. I do this with cheap leather and knives all the time.

Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  7. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Ha ha, yes I've done that too! I don't personally like the ergonomics of doing a side to side sweep compared to a forward and back motion. I have one easy to use spot where I can get the right direction, but it involves stropping in the kitchen, which never seems right. Hence the consideration of a paddle strop. To each his own!

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I use a Bench Strop after honing on Kamisori, it works so well