Boards question

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jgreenepa, Aug 22, 2019.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This is a great place with great people. I tried those others and did not like them. Glad you landed here.

Hembree, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Jeff @jgreenepa - Just my own personal experience but it brought me to where I am today. As a New Shaver I asked a question at one of those sites you mentioned. Found myself booted and banned. No appeal, not even an explanation of why. Took me a while to figure it out. The Moderator I interacted with acted in a heavy handed way over the discussion of a soap scent. Granted the scent was patchouli of which I'm quite fond. The Mod was a retired member of the Armed Forces and had a problem with 1960 & '70 era Hippies. To this day I'll still see B&B hit the top of most Wet Shave related Google searches I perform. Keep in mind Google sells info to advertisers. B&B is sponsored by a number of companies. Don't upset their apple cart. This forum doesn't live and breathe on corporate sponsorship.

After that I gave TSN a try. It's not a Newbie Friendly environment. More suited to users of high end products and an older more mature membership. Good guys mostly though I always feel like the poor cousin when I visit.

Here at TSD I think we cover the spread well. New Shavers and new members are welcomed alike. I enjoy sharing my advice, opinions, and when I have it - actual information with inquisitive folks, and strive to learn new things as well. I like when someone brings in decades of experience to share with us. Doesn't matter if the member is into $5 vintage Gillettes or top of the line current production gear - we all get along well here. The occasional troll doesn't stick around because this community won't put up with bad behavior. I'm a better Moderator for my experience with the fine members of TSD.

3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Thank you for your time serving as a moderator.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    ...and yet here I am...:happy102::happy097:

5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Rick:
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts which seem in keeping with mine. By the way, I really appreciated the welcome here and always appreciate your two cents!

6. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

An observation from a "newbie" to, shall I say, "proper shaving."

I have absolutely "no" experience with shaving related boards other than this one. But what I do have is a lot of experience with boards with a variety of hobbies, etc. With that in mind, I feel I'm qualified well enough to say....This has to be one of, if not "the", friendliest, most open boards I've had the good fortune to run across. That's not, as I'm sure a lof of folks know, always the case. I've run across way too many where folks seem to delight in being downright obnoxious in how they point out the error of the newbie's ways.

7. jgreenepa

I agree! As a member of a few photography boards where the kind of behavior you describe is prevalent, I really appreciate the tone and helpfulness of this group. Kudos!

8. brit

brit in a box

:D

Edison Carter, Hembree and RyX like this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

So, just imagine what the standards are like over at that other place. :happy068::scared007:

10. brit

brit in a box

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Rimshot...

12. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Apparently we like you to much!:signs136:

Primotenore, jgreenepa and brit like this.
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

@RyX
    Ditto!

RyX and brit like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Y'all are very welcome, and thank you! Being a Mod to such a well behaved bunch of Regulars means I'm mostly just an active Member with a couple extra buttons I hardly ever use on my interface. If I wasn't having fun I'd go hang out with those weirdos at the flashlight forum. I still haven't signed up at the wrist watch group. Yet.

It's a subtle slope between googling and reading a few post, to Lurking. Next thing you know you have questions. That's how I got here - I just wanted to figure out how to use a straight razor. ;)

Primotenore, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm glad you decided to stick around here, Rick, and keep tabs on us. I lurk a bunch of forums but only post here. TSD is head and shoulders above the rest...informative, welcoming, and kind.

Them watch nuts are a prissy and high maintenance bunch. I can't say much about flashlight forums...I'm in the dark on that one. :eek:

16. jgreenepa

Charlie:
    I agree on the watch nuts! Great descriptors! I prefer to read Hodinkee to get my watch fix!

brit, RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  17. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I've recently gotten interested again in fountain pens and have enjoyed that section here. I use a pen frequently which renders a method to my madness. :) I have a new Lamy special edition Al-Star with a fine nib. I also have a couple LJ Esterbrooks.

Maybe I need to find a flashlight forum....LOL!!:shocked003:

wristwatchb, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  18. jgreenepa

Chuck:
    Here you go, -> Flashlight Forum:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I consider typing that word a quality check on my typing rather than a disparaging remark against those that delve into the intricacies of artificial illumination. Hallowed by thy name. When googling, be careful to type "Flash", not "Flesh". ;)

Edison Carter, brit and Chuck Naill like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..