Book of the Week: 2007-04-16

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by qhsdoitall, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Many of us are avid readers. What are you currently reading or about to read? Book or author reviews are encouraged.

2. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I am reading a Swedish fantasy novel for the moment, part three in a trilogy.. Its called "En Kejsares Själ" (An emperors Soul).. Very good, a bit different from the "normal" fantasy.. Sorry to say: I dont think you US boys and girls gonna read it though.. I have never heard of a Swedish Fantasy being translated.. But we can hope.. Its a Really Good book!

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

The Runes of Earth

I'm currently reading the "Runes of Earth" by Stephen R. Donaldson. This is the first book in the third Thomas Covenant Chronicles series. These chronicles are about Thomas Covenant, who is a leper, being transported to "The Land" to help oppose "Lord Foul." The problem is he is a leper who has to stay firmly rooted in reality or face the consequences of his disease. There are times you root for him and times you want to strangle him. He is not a hero but one who is dragged into the role and fails miserably on many occasions. There is despair, tragedy, defeat triumph for all. Great character studies. Magic has rules and white gold has none. The chronicles happen years apart in our world and thousands of years in the "Land." This third chronicle promises to just as good as the first two.

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Esquire.
    May 2007 edition
    Cigar Magazine

5. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Cool!!
    I didnt know there was a third chronicle - I have read the first two and absolutely loved them.. But as you say - Hes NO Hero!!

6. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

I've been reading Aldous Huxley's "The Doors of Perception"

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

So far, this one centers around Dr. Linden Avery.

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Starting to read Maui Millionaires

9. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Cool idea for a thread!

I really don't read Fiction... (lol unless they're self-help books lol)

Reading two right now: Surviving an Affair and His Needs, Her Needs

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

The Science of Hitting by Ted Williams

a broken toe translate into time to read

tomorrow I'll perform a test drive on the broken toe as we play a weak team.

Raf

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Turquoise Girl by Aimee and David Thurlo. Navajo murder mystery.

My next one will be Napoleon's Pyramid's by William Deitrich.

12. navy_shave

navy_shave New Member

Just got Das Boot. Loved the movie, so I thought I'd give the book a try. It's pretty thick. Should keep me busy for awhile.

13. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

Always read the book before the movie. Always. Except for "The Sting".

St. Croix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.