Boots original shave stick review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by matthewoli98, May 8, 2019.

1. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

Many of you will know that I'm usually a bowl latherer but shave sticks are the exception.

Ever since i tried a shave stick for the first time two months ago, i instantly fell in love with how easy Shave sticks are to use, and how efficiently they produce slick cushioning lather.

They are also perfect for travel, and i often find myself reaching for Arko shave sticks when traveling over creams, although i love both soaps and creams equally.

The boots original shave stick definitely ticks all my boxes to be classified as a great travel shave stick.

It comes in a handy container which seals it nicely for travel, the stick itself is held onto the base of the container by a few plastic spikes, so the container can also be re-used when the stick is finished.

Unfortunately arko or derby will not fit in this container as this shave stick has a smaller diameter, but home made sticks will fit in it just fine

It has a delightful cologne like scent, hard to describe but it has a slight hint of musk, a very pleasant scent overall, a bit muted after lathering so ill rate the scent 7/10.

Lathering: this stick lathers fairly readily, not quite as well as arko, so use a bit more for the same results, ill rate its lathering a solid 7/10.

Price: i wasn't sure about the price but Sav said it cost him around 1,8 pounds which is a bit more than arko or derby, but bear in mind this does come with a handy container, so ill rate it 8/10.

Slickness: this shave stick has great slickness to begin with, but its residual slickness cant beat arko, so ill give it 7/10 for slickness and 6/10 for residual slickness.

Protection: the boots shave stick provides great protection on the first pass but obviously decreases on the next fee passes after re applying soap already on the brush, it does decrease more than arko but it's more than sufficient.
    I'll rate it a solid 7/10 in this department.

Overall conclusion: the boots original shave stick is a great commercial option if shave sticks are your thing and you live in the UK, and even if you arent the biggest fan of shave sticks, its easily worth it just for the container. I for one think its a fantastic shave stick and absolutely adore it.

Its a huge pity it looks like they've discontinued it, or at least reduced the numbers on sale.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Yehuda D, brit, Edison Carter and 5 others like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I do like mine, and I notice no big difference between it and Arko or Derby.
    To me they are all just soap. I like the smell better, but scent has nothing to do with performance.

It is a pity they are discontinued.

Yehuda D and brit like this.
  3. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

It’s not a luxurious soap but it certainly is an honest performer and gets the job done well.