Borek Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by qhsdoitall, Jun 13, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

2. xChris

xChris Member

I think I have a couple of brushes with Blankity-Blank knots in them. They are very nice brushes -- medium density with fine hair and slightly less resiliance than Shavemac Finest grade.

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Cool :cool:

Not cheap but cool.:D

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Hmmmm. Nope, haven't used one of those either

[​IMG]

The handle looks extremely long, I'd have to try one before I'd be a believer....or at least see one in use. I can't imagine a handle any longer than that on a Proraso Boar Brush or an SR 3226 being of any use (the 3226 is almost too long)

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Make a nice paint brush. :D

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Exactly.

But, allow me to clarify. I don't think there would be a problem so much with the lathering process or application of lather to face........but after.

The SR3226 (which has an elongated handle) feels somewhat awkward when you're shaking it out to remove water, because of the longer handle. Sometimes, it launches out of my hand :eek:

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Basting brush, perhaps?

8. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I hate to be the voice of opposition :(

One of the local stores here in Austin (Blankity Blanks is located here I think) brought in a handful of these awhile back. I wasn't impressed with them at all. Part of it is the personal preference against that paddle looking handle. The knots felt like they had used a ton of apoxy to glue them down that extended up in to the core of the brush. You could feel a big hard lump towards the bottom of the knot.

Maybe it was just the ones I saw? I know other people have enjoyed these from what I've read.

9. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

I quite like the look of the handles, but the knots have garnered some mixed reviews.
    If you want to see some really nice brushes with a Blankity-Blank knot then check out this page.
    I nearly pulled the trigger on one of these last year, but I couldn't get over the idea of a relatively cheap knot in such an expensive brush. Now if the owner was to source some Manchurian hair from Simpson's I suppose I could be persuaded to buy one:rolleyes:
    This isn't a slight against the Borek knots, but think how good that ebony brush would look topped with nearly pure white bristles.:drool
    Regards,
    Alex

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

OMG, I almost spit my AeroPress (shameless plug) coffee out when I saw the price tag. At that price you could send him a high end brush and have him transfer knots.

11. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

LOL, yeah, kinda pricey aren't they.
    I have considered that, but that raises a second problem (life's never simple is it?) Where can you source a new Simpson's Extra Super brush these days?
    Also, youd be paying the same price for the Manchurian (if you could get it) only to pull it apart, and it might just be the shavegeek in me, but that makes me want to cry:sad024
    Regards,
    Alex