Boss Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Apr 23, 2017.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

So I did a thorough search for this razor and couldn't find a thing here at TSD. Could be because "boss" is such a generic term. Regardless, if there's already a thread for this, a moderator should merge this into that thread.

I came across this on Amazon. As the handle resembles the custom 'Cooncat Bob' handle I had Bob make for me back in 2011, I was curious. So I ordered one. About 10 minutes after it arrived and I opened it to check it out, I tossed the head-pieces in the trash (they are plated pot-metal junk with noticeable imperfections in the plating plus I don't really care for this style of solid bar guard), went to Amazon and ordered another one. As you can probably guess now, the handle on this razor is what I'm after and it is superb. Excellent length, heft and the knurling is crazy good... you actually know this razor is in your hand and if you drop it, it wasn't because of smooth knurling. I've got one of these handles paired with head pieces from a 1934 British Gillette New and with head pieces from a 1919 USA Gillette Military Old Type (J 13891 date code) - both pairings seen in the last 3 images. For $14.99 and free shipping, this handle is a steal.

IMG_20170423_190031.jpg IMG_20170423_190054.jpg IMG_20170423_190123.jpg IMG_20170423_190303.jpg

IMG_20170423_185646.jpg IMG_20170423_185722.jpg IMG_20170423_185744.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    urrlord, Tjebbe, GarnerPW and 2 others like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

jmudrick likes this.
  3. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Looks good to me.Some of the buys on Amazon will surprise you.A few years ago I bought a razor off of Amazon named the Atomic.A number of people had posted less than stellar reviews of it.I however was happy with it the handle was long and fairly heavy.Reminded me of a 3/8 inch ratchet handle.I get good shaves with it ,have not tried the frankenrazor route with it,substituting different heads with it.I do have some Gillette 3 pieces laying around may have to give that a shot.

BigMark83 likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

nice handle. fits the vintage look...

5. stingraysrock

I received the razor yesterday and immediately trashed the head. The handle is chrome plated brass and quite hefty. The handle is also longer than my previous score. I ordered another one right away .

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Nothing wrong with head. Same as the Matador Toro Mastiff /SABI/NYSS Mariner which has its fans.

7. stingraysrock

The 2011 Muhle R41 rules and throws rocks at all other blade holders.

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's one theory I guess.

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Some of the best deals I got with getting handles was to buy complete razors with a DE89 clone head.