Bout Yellow Coticule Sources

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by TstebinsB, Jul 11, 2008.

1. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Where's the best place to get a Bout Yellow Coticule, Selected grade? It doesn't have to be in the US only. Thanks.

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Try:

www.theperfectedge.com

I believe the gentleman's name is Howard. Talk with him and he'll be a great help.

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

oh, and Howard's prices are hard to beat, too ;)

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

5. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

6. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Howard has sizes of only 10" and 14". The European sources have bouts of larger sizes that are cheaper than Howard's prices. Of course, shipping to the US kills the savings.

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Really? For example: The selected 8" x 3" (200mm x 75mm) coticule costs 185$ at Howards site, but costs ~315USD(!!!) at the site of the mine, ardennes coticule... :eek:

8. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

That's a huge difference Klaus. :eek: Makes you wonder where Howard sources his Belgians. Or maybe it's like petrol prices - prices have gone up but Howard is still selling older, cheaper stock?

James.

9. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I believe Belgischer Brocken sells a selected bout of 48-52 sq. cm. (19-20.5 sq. in.) for $59.85 USD, unless I'm reading it wrong. Howard sells a selected bout of 14 sq. in. for $65 USD.

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Yeah... seems like the bouts are a different story alltogether...

@James: Well, there's only one sources for the belgian stones. So I'm guessing he still sells older stock.

11. rwb

rwb Member

i would stick with howard you know what you get is good .

12. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

The thing with Howard IMHO is your getting top notch quality and excellent service. I would rather talk to someone knowledgeable like Howard about the product..and have him pick me up something nice that I know he would stand behind.

13. Blade

Blade Member

One reason they're dearer from the mine is that Belgian post office charges are staggeringly high - I just had a delivery and it worked out at nearly $9 per piece! If Howard's buying enough economies of scale will kick in and I'm guessing internal USPS costs aren't too bad - though what would be the cost to Europe! The other thing is that maybe Howard is a total philanthropist and doesn't seek to make any money at all.....;)

14. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Have any of you European members ordered from Ardennes Coticule? I can get a 23" squared standard bout for $71 shipped USD. I don't know of the quality but it's hard for me to believe these guys don't know what they're doing. After all, they're in Belgium. Right now, Howard is offering a 12" squared bout for $71 shipped USD.

15. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Yes, I have ordered from them. And yes, they do know what they're selling and doing because that's the mine's very own shop :D

16. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Haha.. I thought that but I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

17. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

I have heard the guy there, Rob Celis (sp??), is excellent to talk to and quite helpful.

I myself have not bought anything from the mine, but I did just pick up a very nice, and kinda rare, vintage man-made combo. Made by Pike, they glued a yellow to a blue. I never knew this, but the blue sparkles and glows - very beautiful.

James.

18. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I don't know his first name but Mr. Celis has some fans at SRP too.

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Very beautiful hones indeed! :happy088

20. gugi

gugi New Member

My understanding is that there are two grades of coticules - so you want the higher one, which is what you get from howard. the stuff that's listed on ardennes' website may be the lower grade.
    The europeans have said that Howard's prices are lower than the ones from the quarry, which is not too surprising he doesn't have the taxes and I'm sure as a distributor he gets a discount that is not available to end customers.