Bowl or face lather?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by aelfred.t.allspa, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I use a combination usually with a scuttle. I will make lather with the bowl then face lather as the bowl has already built most of the lather in the brush after massaging my face with the brush I will take some of the lather from my scuttle to thicken the lather up to my liking. I'm sure I don't know how to face lather as well as others but I just able to make a thicker creamier lather in the scuttle so I use it to finish up my lather. I waste a lot of soap but I have two cabinets full of soaps and creams.

Bill G and Robyflexx like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I find it much easier to get the water ratio perfect when bowl lathering, but that's me.

Bill G and markjnewcomb like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

^^This^^

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I face lather everything but creams. For me, face lathering is faster, and easier to get a consistent slick lather.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I will bowl lather when I do test a new soap, cream or brush, but for shaving, I always face lather.

whiteboy_cannon and Robyflexx like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Just depends on the shave; how much time do I have, and what mood am I in. I guess I prefer to bowl lather. I just enjoy it. If I am on the road, I only face lather though.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

I like the mug, but arko stick is face lather time.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I have only ever done face lather in my short time with a DE but I'm curious about bowl lathering. I may just grab a salad bowl and give it a try

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

More art to face lathering. And it provides for exfoliation. I always face lather, except maybe once or twice a year, when I bowl lather for no discernable reason. Face lathering is luxury and enjoyment! Bowl lathering is just painting your face with lather. Face Latherers of the world, unite! Viva La' Revolution! Death to heretics! (oops, got a little carried away there... :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  10. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Face lathering is where it's at...trust me, I'm one of the cool kids. :happy097: J.K. face lathering rocks!!

11. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I enjoy both, but not at the same time :)

twhite, Robyflexx and jeraldgordon like this.
  12. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Face lathering is a symptom of rabies isn't it…along with hydrophobia?

13. rustypixel

rustypixel Active Member

I face lather always. I'm a shower shaver and I love the feel of the cool product freshly loaded on the brush against my face. I have been mug lathering recently but that's only cause I'm using samples.

jeraldgordon and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

As others above stated, I too prefer bowl lathering. I use a scuttle daily and just love to make lather. I have face lathered and it seems very efficient and saves time, but I don't like to hurry my "me"time.

15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Face lather!

twhite and jeraldgordon like this.
  16. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

66% face lather 33% bowl lather. I enjoy both.

17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I never bowl lather. I don't see how it would do anything to make the lather better. Rod says his soaps lather much better just doing directly off the puck and I agree with that.

BamaT, jeraldgordon and Robyflexx like this.
  18. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I like the ritual of bowl lathering; it feels somehow luxurious, especially when the bowl is placed in hot water and the lather goes on warm. I love that. Face lathering feels like a whole different skill. Still very enjoyable, I find it more challenging but less luxurious.

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. kdkelly

kdkelly Well-Known Member

I do both. Bowl lather if time is not an issue. Face lather if pressed for time. I get better consistency in a bowl but it takes much more time. This is with soaps. If I use a cream, (which is not often) I always use a bowl or scuttle.

dangermouse likes this.
  20. mayer57619

mayer57619 Well-Known Member

I only face lather and I feel it helps with exfoliation and working the lather in/around the stubble.

BamaT and Robyflexx like this.