Bowl Size

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by fishcrow, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Actually I think that's rather cool!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

That is so funny because I think I just bought your bowl at Goodwill the other day. :p It's ceramic and looks like it's homemade and the bottom is kind of rough. So far it is working ok; I wish it was a little deeper though. I'm still on the lookout for the perfect bowl.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So do I! I like it.

4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

That is pretty cool and a neat idea.

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah Randy, not laughable at all. If it works, awesome.

I'm gonna go get into the garbage now......:happy068:

CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Oh, man. I knew coming clean on my lather bowl was a bad idea. I keep seeing everyone's first class scuttles and all I get is <woof>.

Latherman87 likes this.
  7. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Its scary how something cheap and simple such as a cereal bowl works as well as it does; my scuttle really never gets used.

8. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

The cereal bowl is now a permanent member of my shave den. Two days of awesome lather.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

After I tried that plastic bowl, I had no desire to purchase a scuttle. Sure warm later would be fantastic, but that extra money could be used for more soaps, creams and blades.....perhaps a new razor. GOD I HAVE HORRIBLE AD.

10. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

On seeing Aaron's original post regarding his cereal bowl, I went into our cabinet and got down a bowl what I thought before to be too small and just wouldn't work. I took to it with my brush and soap and lo and behold I had lather. It really worked well and I love the size of it. Thanks Ikea and thank you Aaron, for the post.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  11. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Aaron I thank you for your post and your great idea of using a cereal bowl. The lather whipped up in a cereal bowl is incredible. I award you the Posting of Week Idea.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  12. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I'm glad my bowl idea worked out for you guys! ;)

13. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I think I will have my bowl of TRIX then go shave.

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I think it's more the depth than the diameter that matters. I have a few 'old' scuttles that have fairly wide diameters but are shallow. They don't work well at all. I currently use a bowl that 2-3 in. deep but having a small diameter. it works very well.

15. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

i would reccomend a bowl with a depth of about 2 or 3 inches and about 4 inches across...seems to work amazing for any soap or cream i have ever used...hope it helps

16. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I use a standard soup mug out of our kitchen (we happened to have one that was chipped when I started experimenting with wet shaving). It works quite well, and being ceramic with the brush in it it sits in the hot water in my sink quite nicely and keeps my lather nice and warm.

17. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

I use a 50 cent cooking prep bowl from Ikea. It's a little bigger than palm size, stainless steel, and makes a real nice lather.

18. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

I loved my Goodwill bowl. It was actually a sugar bowl so it had two handles on the side. Unfortunately it broke, but fortunately it was 49cents.