Breaking In a New Strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, May 7, 2014.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    @45auto

This vid might give you some Hints on stropping one in particular is how to hold that strop without bending it :)

The Linen can actually be cleaned using a Stiff Nylon Brush and some Powdered Laundry Detergent
    Dry it flat and carefully after, you can use Chalk and Hair spray to re-set the surface if you need instrustion of that let me know and I will write it out how I was taught..

The Leather can be lightly cleaned and re-set using simple lather and a rubdown when dry with a rough Cotton Washcloth Lather, Dry, Repeat I recommend using Williams or MWF lather myself

These are things that will help the strop without permanently changing the strop :) more intense re-conditioning can of course be done but I like to start small and go from there :D

Karl G likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Good stuff, Glen! Thanks for posting this! :happy088:

Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  3. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Thank you sir that explained why the edges were cupped at the end,I have been rubbing it with my hands and the cup is gone I guess I am taking it slow,my question I have is that I have a norton tri-stone in a oil bath I used to sharpen and maintain my chef knives for about the last 24 years coarse,medium,fine I was given a fractionate no.3 barber stone with the strop can I remove the small nicks with this setup and maintain my razor I posted pics in the thread "my first straight razor" Thank you for your time.
    Take care.

Karl G likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'll defer to Glen's knowledge on honing recommendations, but the Norton Tri-stones are, in my opinion, too coarse for razor use: 100-grit, 150-grit, 320-grit. Bevel-setting on razors starts at around 325 on the lowest side up to 1000grit; sharpening on 3-5000grit, polishing 8k; finishing 10k & up. nicks on the blade can be removed with the 4k stone.

Karl G likes this.
  5. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I have been doing some video watching by assisting and others and a forum called straight razor place the 4k-8k seems to be a good beginners stone Norton seems to make a good one I will have to look on eBay and see what I can find,I am also interested in a set of stones 250-1000k 4k-8k then a stone that has diagonally cut lines for lapping the other stones any advice.
    Take care.

Karl G likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've had good luck with the Norton 4k/8k combo. I bought it 2nd hand at a decent price. I picked up a Naniwa 1k as it had better reviews from users vs the Norton 1k, but either would work for an inexpensive bevel-setter.
    For lapping all your stones, the DMT 325 works great ('dia-sharp continuous diamond; coarse').

Karl G likes this.
  7. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I'm not sure about breaking in a strop for it's intended purpose, but my dad broke one in on my behind during my formative years! :eek: :angry017: :angelic007:

Karl G likes this.
  8. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Hmmmm so I will need a minimum of at least 3 stones + one for lapping them to keep the highs and lows and the stones smoother? Am I starting to catch on?
    Take care.

9. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Wow your dad went all out mine used just a plain leather belt or Cut to fit 2x4 let me tell you I felt the love I am kinda thick headed.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I would recommend a bevel setting stone (for those ebay specials)—1ooo grit. 4000/8000 combo (1 stone) to sharpen, a stone for lapping is nice to have, though some use sandpaper (!)....
    Heres a helpful video by Lynn Abrams that covers a wide range of stones for use and lapping.

and one from Glen...

There is actually something called, 'One Stone Honing'—but that's best left to another time. Check out Glen's videos on honing. Very informative and helpful: Glen's Vids on Youtube

11. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video's looks like prep is the key to straight razor shaving as much as it is in professional cooking.I watched a video by Lynn where he set a bevel with a 4k 8k norton then then flipped it over sharpened on the 8k side then went on to say you can strop it from their and can shave with it however using a finishing stone will give you a much netter edge their for a better shave this is all so interesting.
    take care.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yep, one certainly can shave from the 8k. Of course, it'll take some practice to get to that 'shave-ready' status, but it is certainly do-able.

Re: prep— once you get your razor honed, the only real prep each day is the stropping the razor ( few minutes, max) before each shave.

13. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Right now I have every thing to maintain an edge with the strop and barber hone and those two items will give me time to save for honning stones.

14. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahahahaha

15. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

P8280074.JPG P8280076.JPG P8290077.JPG P8290078.JPG
    I talked to norton about the finest grit I have on my oil stones it is 350 grit so I gently tried it to take take out some nicks I also put a nice divot in the tip while polishing it with a Dremel so I took some small files some fine stones from my dremel kit, 3-1 oil and by hand tried to get the tip back to as close as I could if I post pics can you please look at them to see if it is still usable? Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014