Brit pat 694093 II - what is the II?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Oct 10, 2019.

1. brit

brit in a box

2. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Two of my recent purchases:
    1956 British set no.59 (71g) in the leatherette case. Brit Pat 693094
    1962 Rocket set no.54a (68g) in the blue plastic case. Brit Pat 693094
    I believe the original no.54 set came with a 4 pack of blades, (Gillette blue extras?) rather than ten. The hunt begins. I've always said I wasn't really a collector but maybe I'm getting the bug.
    image.jpeg

brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

very cool.you blue cased set is a rocket hd set..56-8 ish .the 54a set from 1962 is different..they are both in fantastic shape.. 1962 (H on blade) Rocket Set No54A.jpg

4. dangermouse

brit likes this.
  5. dangermouse

There is a 1957 French set in the blue case, 694093 II but my razor doesn't have the II written in it anywhere. That's what lead me to the 1962 version. Seriously, now that I'm looking the are loads of super speeds.

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

do you see the ring/groove near the top of your handle same as your #59 set.?.the 1962 54a set razor pictured doesn't have that..the 11 you are speaking of on the baseplate is 57 ish .yours is probably 1955 or 6.

7. brit

brit in a box

8. dangermouse

Ah - nice spot. I completely missed that. Thank you.
    I wonder if I have the right razor with a wrong case or perhaps just a razor that hasn't made it into Mr. Razor's site. I'm intrigued now.

brit likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

there isn't a pic of a 55-6 hd but they exist..it was a transitional change..

dangermouse likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The rhodium plating should give it away. I think the only other set that razor came in was a deluxe style leather cased traveller set.

Edit: to clarify, I'm referring to the rhodium plated 58 TV special. The knurling was unique to those 3 razors (Brit. '58 TV special (aka No. 80 set), Deluxe Traveller set, and the U.S. '58 TV special) but only the first two had rhodium plated handles.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    dangermouse and brit like this.
  11. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I don't discount the razor was originally sold as a 58 TV special in England just that the case and in the ad it looks to be same type of knurling as a No 80 set sold in 1961. With that said the ad isn't clear enough to use a 100% positive verification which razor is in that set. It is either a British TV special or standard British flare tip.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

ask mr .razor..

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Look ^^^ 3 posts. (Not counting this one).

brit likes this.