British #77 Question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by scottydoint, Mar 2, 2009.

1. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I just got this set in today, but it has a tech handle on a NEW head. The head and part of the handle is wrapped with plastic. The case is black bakelite. Could the tech handle be original?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I thought a 77 was a two piece English NEW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You must have the infamous open comb Tech! :happy102

3. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

No no.. the 77 came in multiple variations (including packaging).. some were two pieces, some were three pieces.. some with fat handles (like techs) some with thinner handles like British News and techs. I'll post some pics later on to illustrate.

4. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

I know 2 different #77 set´s.
    The first one is the 2-pice british NEW from 1933:

[​IMG]

and the second one is a Australian Tech from 1948:

[​IMG]

But what is yours ? It´s really very nice! Congratulations.

5. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Hmm. mine has the handle like the one in the second picture, but a different base. The base is like Achim's here, but it has patent #s
    [​IMG]

6. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Here's the two I own but I've seen a couple more with different handle and head variations as well.. notice the 2nd #77 with green box is the French version.

Attached Files:

7. riffin

riffin Active Member

Here's another on the bay, but with a normal vs. De Luxe type head...

8. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

That one also has the fat handle. It may not be correct and it isn't a #77, but I wonder what set # it is if the razor is correct for the case.

9. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Scotty... that is in fact a #77 and is in the correct case. Like I stated earlier Gillette produced various #77's with different handle and heads... some look like techs, some look like news, some with fat handles, some with thin handles.. some from France, some from Canada...

Attached Files:

10. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I just got another #77 set and this one appears to be the Tech version. The seller said this razor was still sealed.

[​IMG]

11. riffin

riffin Active Member

Yeah, I based my statement on the vintage advert you posted. It looked EXACTLY like the one in the ad, whereas the one at the top of this thread has De Luxe type head. IMHO the De Luxe type head is very cool!