British Adjustables?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_gatz, Jun 22, 2021.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the British Gillettes are considered to be superior to the US counterparts, at least from the 40's to the 60's. You hear about the aristocrat, ss, rockets, and so forth, but what about adjustable Gillette safety razors? Were these not manufactured in Britain? I just never hear about them much.

brit likes this.
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

As I recall, the adjustables were all made in USA and shipped to different countries for different packaging related to those countries. My NOS birth year long black handle adjustable is made in USA but repackaged for the Netherlands. I know there was a adjustable Aristocrat (black handle, gold plating) made in USA But sold and packaged for Japan.

Have a look here at Achim's Gillette adjustables page:
    http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Adjustable/Adjustable.htm

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

U.S made only.brit version fatboy sets were packaged as "Executive" i believe.some one will correct me if i'm wrong..;)

4. jay_gatz

I believe the Gold Plated Fatboy were packaged as "The Executive" in all markets. The Gillette Wikipedia Entry is actually fairly informative, but does not get into the particulars of where and when they were manufactured.

5. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

The British took a different route and used a double screw instead of a crimp to operate the tto knob. This opening mechanism is simply not compatible with the adjusting mechanism used by Gillette.

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Short answer all model dial adjustable DE razors were only manufactured in the US regardless of where they were sold.

Longer answer some of the older 3 pc razors were considered adjustable including British and Canadian made razors because you could loosen the handle a hair and it would increase the blade gap without any issues.

Ijustmissedthe50s, jay_gatz and brit like this.
  7. jay_gatz

Been there, done that. The newer line of Ascension razors does this quite well.