British Monarch Gold Razor and Souplex? mystery

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dougr, Nov 30, 2010.

1. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

This razor is a British Monarch and looks something like a Big Fellow. It is a fairly aggressive shaver with an open comb as you can see and from my shave this morning with a Shark blade. It is supurbly made and has some heft although the balance is quite good. Since the handle has that tube down the middle and the handle end is open, there is a delightful sound of whisker whacking as you shave with it. I assume that it was made in the 1920 era but can't find the site where I found it several months ago. The other razor which I a going to shave with later this week is made in England, has a solid silver handle and is a three piece. On the bottom of the head it is engraved SOUPLEX MADE IN ENGLAND and the case is engraved Gillette made in England with the diamond around it. I found this ID on a site several months ago also but cannot remember where. Does anyone have one of these razors?

Attached Files:

2. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

The Monarch is #1 and the Souplex is #2

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have no knowledge to offer my Brother...

4. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff, I was hoping you would take a look. The Monarch is a piece of art and a very aggressive shaver.

5. paydepst

paydepst Member

That's a new one on me. It looks like you've unearthed one of the UK's competitors for Gillette's DE market share. Nice razors!

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Nice looking razors though!

7. beautiful razor!!

8. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

The Monarch is a quality razor and is an aggressive shave with the open comb and heft. This is a picture of my SOTD with the Monarch and it is a mystery why there is so little information unless the WWI and WWII caused disrurption of production for this high end razor.:signs021

Attached Files: