broken fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rodd, May 8, 2008.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I got a cased fatboy a while ago in a lot, turned out to be broken. Has anyone seen this before and found a way to fix it? It is not a particularly pretty razor anyway, but it is a great shaver, seems a shame. When I unscrew the TTO, it comes out the bottom, I have to push the TTO knob towards the head to open the doors.

[​IMG]

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I've not seen that before but is it possible the threading is stripped?

I know a guy selling a couple of nice Fatboys and a Flare-Tip if you want to replace it :D

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

;) Thanks, I actually just posted another in the acquisitions thread though. :D
    The threads do work well, I think there must be a worn retaining ring or something though. If It still screws tight, but when I unscrew it, it is like there is nothing to hold the TTO knob in place so it lifts the doors.
    [​IMG]

4. riffin

riffin Active Member

I'm not sure how these were made, but that groove just above the handle of the knob looks like it might be for a retaining ring. What do you see if you remove the knob and look into the bottom of the handle? Is there a corresponding groove on the inside? Is there a ring there? I think it's a missing retaining ring.

PS: This is how the knob on my Personna Percision two peice adjustable is held in place when it opened.

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I don't think this is one of the ones that can be disassembled, or at least easily without damaging it. Any advice on doing so? It does have a groove that I would assume is for a retaining ring. I have a 30s aristocrat with the same issue.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I have disassembled these before. Can you take a pic of the bottom of the TTO knob. I want to make sure before I give the instructions.

Raf

7. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Dang.... go raf. I didn't even know it was possible.

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I will post one up after work. Thanks! I know there are two different styles, I thought this style could not be disassembled, but hopefully I am wrong! ;)

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I ran across one a few weeks back at an estate sale that I could have had for 50 cents with the exact same problem. I passed on it because it had to much wear, but that turned me off. It did tighten fine, though.

10. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Thats what happened to my super adjustable. The head, shaft, and bottom all twist in different directions independently of one another. And it completely screwed up the blade gap.

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Maybe we can combine the parts and create a "super-fat boy"

12. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I have taken some of these apart for maintenance. Now, being able to fix this specific problem might be a different issue.

13. JayKay

Yes! We can than sell it on ebay for 1000$ and buy a swarofsky crystal handle shaving brush and have joint custody over it!

14. fritz

fritz New Member

if you look at this picture, the FB on the left (date code E) can be taken apart easily, and also put back together. The FB on the right (date code G) can be taken apart, but not easily, and can't be put back together.:D:mad:

See the two little notches inside the twist knob? Just use a spanner wrench (or the tips of a small pair of needlenose pliers) and unscrew it... carefully, or parts will spring apart all over. Best to close the silo doors and put rubber bands around them first.

15. fritz

fritz New Member

Actually, before someone nit-picks, it's possible, but not with simple tools. The 4 little "bumps" around the central shaft have to be ground off with a Dremel tool. Then, to re-assemble, a new crimp ring has to be fabricated from brass or aluminum tubing.

16. JayKay

Sounds easier to ebay a new FB.

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Unfortunately I do have the type on the right. It is a F3. It looks identical, so I probably won't be taking pictures of mine. It is not a pretty fatboy anyway, so I won't be trying to put a lot of time in to it, I was just hoping for an easy fix. At least I am more comfortable with it now, since I got a much prettier one yesterday. Thanks everyone for your help!
    Seriously Jay, super fattie. ;)

18. fritz

fritz New Member

Well, save the case, of course. Try to get an early FB that you can take apart. Also, I'd save the current razor for spare innards for the one you get that you can take apart.... but I'm an old engineer and just can't stop fixing things that break...:D

19. JayKay

Fix my super.... I'm a biologist. I only fix living things. or fix dead things.

20. riffin

riffin Active Member

I'd try putting a retaining ring in that groove and see if you can snap it into place. What's to loose?