Bromley's Shave Cream - a Kroger brand - who'da thunk?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by maltedmilk, Jul 30, 2018.

1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I noticed a new top shelf display in the shaving section at Kroger yesterday. Rather than go home and research (or fiddle with my phone in the store), I figured I would try out their bergamot lavendar scented Bromley's Velvety Shave Cream for $6. Small risk and no waiting, so what the heck, right?
    (check out the press release: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/kroger-launches-bromleys-men-shaving-140000516.html)

I'll skip ahead to the scent to get that out of the way. There is almost a scent. What's almost there is pleasant enough, but I note mostly what it is not: strong, manly, classic barber shop, lasting longer than your shave.

The next thing Bromley's is not is a shaving cream. It does not lather. Period. I probably wasted two to four shaves worth of this lotion trying to load it into my brush and work it up. Not a cream. It's a lotion. Tomorrow I will just rub it onto my face with two fingers, rather like applying sunscreen. A thin sunscreen at that, too. More viscous than water, but nowhere near what I think most experienced shavers would expect.

I had no lather, so really had to pay attention to where I was driving my razor. The lanes were much less clear.

On the plus side, this stuff is slick. You can easily make a pass or two and immediately buff a trouble spot with very low chance of razor burn (assuming your technique doesn't regularly give you burn, I suppose). Just rinse your razor and take another swipe or two... within reason, of course!

I finished after one super-pass (that is a regular ATG shave with double-passes and maybe a little buffing on the swirls and corners) and some light, follow-on touchups on the usual problem areas. The result? Out-freekin-standing BBS.

I was a little shocked at the end. My face felt like I had already rubbed in a soothing, milky balm. I wonder how much was my pre-shave oil (plain ol' coconut), though. This stuff didn't take the PSO off like soap or a normal cream. I may try skipping the PSO tomorrow.

I finished with Aqua Velva blue, but probably didn't need it. Hmm... maybe I'll skip the aftershave tomorrow, too.

If you love a good lather, Bromley's is not for you. If you love using your shaving accoutrements, Bromley's doesn't play nice. However, if you like a BBS with creamy-soft conditioned skin, you might want to give it a shot.

I expect I'll sneak up on an optimal amount to use per shave. Until then, I can't guess if it was a good value. Bromley's gives a good shave, though. Check it out the next time you're in Kroger.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Screwtape, Yehuda D, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  2. djzook

djzook New Member

I also picked up a tube of Bromley's the other day and experienced exactly what you did the first time I used it. Before I tried it again I came across your post and you sure answered my questions concerning it. I fully expected a lather to develop (it does call itself a shave cream after all) and was frustrated at first. On my latest shave with this product (with my trusty DE razor) I decided to squeeze out about a dime-sized dollop onto my fingers and dabbed some on each cheek and each side of my neck. Seemed to be about the right amount after spreading it throughout my stubble, at least for me, but I would probably say no larger than a nickel-sized dollop would do the job.

I definitely agree that the scent is very light (which doesn't bother me actually) and it's very slick on my face; no razor burn whatsoever and delivered a very nice BBS shave. I do miss the lack of lather while shaving with Bromley's, but I can always use shaving soap and brush upon occasion when I have more time...

Bromley's seems to be a decent value, on par with most products, that gives a good shave and saves some time during the shave process.

Screwtape, maltedmilk and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    ^^^ This right here is why I pull out my phone and question my friend Google when I see an interesting new shaving product on the store shelves.

Screwtape and maltedmilk like this.