Brush and Brush Stand Advice

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by chasro, Sep 16, 2008.

1. chasro

chasro Member

I'm going to make the jump and buy my first brush.

I'm looking at the C&E Best Badger Small Brush, since it gets so many good reviews. (Though a local retailer carries Muehle...)

I've been using the Tom's of Maine shave cream, which I like. I presume its okay to use with a brush. What's the instructions? Wet the brush, put a dab of cream on the brush and lather the face?

What about stands? It seems that everyone is pro-stand, but any specific advice for the C&E BB brush?

Thanks in advance.

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Never used toms of main, nor do I go out of my way to buy a stand. Seems like a waste of money.

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Any stand that the brush will fit into and looks good to your eyes will suffice.

Tom's Of Maine is great stuff, but I find it too thick to face lather with -- use a mug or bowl.

BTW, welcome to TSD!

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Welcome to The Shave Den!!

You don't need a stand - unless you simply like the looks of them. EVERYONE, does not advocate stands. Some use them, some don't. At one point, I owned a dozen brushes, no stands. I figure if it's good enough for DrP (who by now owns approximately 200 brushes, not a typo), it's good enough for me. You really don't need one.

The BBB is a very nice brush.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, chasro!

Don't miss the Newbie Give-Away!

You don't need a stand.............

unless you have a brush like this :D

6. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Certainly don't need a stand. Many people go without and never have an issue.

I use a stand to dry the brush after using it. Once it's dry, then I move it back to it's spot on the brush rack. This is just mostly out of habit since I started out using a stand with my brushes. Just my routine since I rotate through a number of brushes in regular use.

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I have actually taken to using my shaving towel to do a few swipes after my flick dry/squeeze treatment. Both of my new brushes dried just fine like that, but the stand works too obviously.

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Okay, maybe the original question was ambiguous, but I thought this was the only reason to use a stand. Once the brush is dry, I don't think it cares which way it is pointed. Yes, no, maybe? :confused:

Okay, not to start an argument, but Dr P says, "The way i dry my brushes is this: after rinsing very thoroughly under streaming warm water i squeeze the loft gently. Then i shake the brush gently in the sink a few times. I dry my hands and give the brush about 20-30shakes in the bath tub. Finally, i rub the loft gently over a towel about 6-8 times".

Do that, or give it a few quick shakes and place it upside down in a stand -- your choice.

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Correct, unless you lay it on it's side. Then it cares.

But you still don't need a stand.

10. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Buy one of these instead of a Mule or C & E.

He's local and good.

Cream, well opinions vary. Bigelow is a good starter, find that at Bath and Body.

11. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Seriosly Michael, my understanding was that water getting down into the knot was a bad thing, ergo the use of stands. Can a brush safely be stored (after use) on its base pointed up?

12. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

If you shake out the brush properly and squeeze it gently and shake again.. the water amount left in the brush will not cause any issue. Whatever is left will just evaporate off.

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Since I don't own a stand...I sure HOPE so. Read Peter's comments (see link above); he should know. Besides...water evaporates UP. :)

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Yes, most of use do that exact thing.

If getting water in the knot is a bad thing, we are all in trouble. :eek:

15. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Aha! I knew I should have paid closer attention in my physics class!

Nonetheless, I really like my chrome-plated razor and brush stand. It's good aesthetics! :D

16. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

That's what I said in the first place. :rolleyes:

17. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

So, what, do you want a cookie? :D

18. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

No thanks. A nice razor, maybe.

19. chasro

chasro Member

Perhaps I misread the stand issue. But, I did read somewhere that using a stand will help the brush last longer. Not true?

It sounds like most of you just turn the brush upside down and have it sit on its handle. Is that right?

20. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Some people think a stand helps. Lots of other guys, myself included, don't. Sit it on it's handle.