Brush Bristle Stiffness Comparison

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by VetsJetsnGuns, Apr 30, 2008.

1. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

1.) Is there a difference between Floppiness and Lack of Stiffness?

2.) Does grade affect stiffness (pure, best, silver/super)?

3.) Which manufacturers or models are stiffer and which are less so?

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

All good questions. There are many variables in brush stiffness. Type of hair, loft of brush, density of brush and so on. Some rules of thumb would be Silvertip is softer (less stiff) then regular badger, shorter loft is stiffer than longer loft and finally denser brushes (read how many hairs packed per square cm). Floppy just means when you wet the brush the hairs spread out all over the place indicating a lack of stiffness or backbone to a brush. As far as manufacturers go, that's a research project all it's own. I know, I'm generalizing here but even between the same brush what's floppy to you may not be floppy to someone else or maybe the manufacturer happened to pack the brush a little denser.

3. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

You might take a look at this but take it with HUGE grain of salt. Personal opinions are often expressed or taken as facts on that forum. Some there recognized as "experts" aren't. There's still some useful information in this thread.

Richard

4. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I'd also say that there (qhsdoitall indicated this too) is a difference between "springy" and floppy. I have one brush with bristles that are not particularly stiff, but they do spring back after bending. Floppy just mushes over and stays there.

My Rooney 1/1 in Finest has very stiff bristles, but nice soft tips. I find it to be the perfect soap brush. I'm looking forward to seeing what the horn group buy 50mm Shavemac silvertip is like.

Jordan

5. barbarosa

barbarosa New Member

1. Not really, I don't think so
    2. Yes, I think that superior grades bristles are more elastic
    3. I guess the stiffer one will be an Omega boar brush; with a Simpsons pure being the stiffer badger brush. Omega super-badger is very supple brush.

Regards,
    Alfred

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

It's very nice Jordan, however the bristles do not have as stiff a feeling as the Rooney Finest hair....I think you'll find it to be a bit softer and a little more luxurious feeling than the Rooney Finest.....but it's probably one of the YMMV things ;)

I am going off the feeling of the bulb shaped one I have, the Fan will probably be quite different.....

About 3 more weeks to find out :D

Neale

7. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Cool. I don't use my Rooney with creams, so I'm hoping to find a "short" loft brush to fill that role. Maybe this will be it!

Jordan