Brush build along

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by oscar11, Jan 6, 2012.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'm going to attempt to do a brush build along. Remember, I do not consider myself anything more than a hobbyist and a DIY type person. The product I'm using is inlace acrylester. I have no idea how it's going to be over the long haul as far as durability. It comes in a wide range of colors and the blanks are 1.5 x 1.5 x 6 inches. I would consider a face shield as must for turning this stuff. Please take all safety precautions. Now, if I can figure out how to resize the photos, I'll start soon.

macaronus, Hanzo, PanChango and 2 others like this.
  2. oscar11

Since you guys weren't around to help, I chose the blank in the middle. It's called antique gold. blanks 003_640x480.jpg

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Oscar, the blocks shown, what specific material are they?

alpla444 likes this.
  4. oscar11

inlace acrylester

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. oscar11

brush build along 001_640x480.jpg
    Step 2. I like my handles around 60 mm so I cut the blank to 64 mm. It will allow me to to square up the blank ends and maintain my length. I then find the center of the turning square and mark it.

6. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Would you happen to know a good site to get a good but cheap wood lathe? If there is such a combo lol ...im really wanting to get into turning wood but not sure how it will go so im not looking to spend too much on a "practice" lathe

7. oscar11

The next step is drilling the blank as close to center as possible. I'll mention that I'm using a TGN finest fan with a 22mm knot. My plan is to have a loft of 50 mm so I'll drill accordingly. Remember, I plan on squaring the ends so I'll lose a couple of mm. I just try to get as close as possible to the loft I want. brush build along 002_640x480.jpg

8. oscar11

antique gold 005_640x480.jpg
    One thing to note is the knot size (22mm). Notice the swelling of the hair right above the plug. You will have to take this into account when you select your drill size.

9. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

Harbor freight, 5 speed bench top, on sale $199, set of tools $20, and that is WAY better than my setup. Have fun. Sorry for interrupting.

Latherman87 likes this.
  10. oscar11

The hole is drilled to the approximate depth. Notice there is another bit chucked in the drill press. I'm going to drill a pilot hole to tap the handle. brush build along 003_640x480.jpg

GDCarrington and Latherman87 like this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Excellent Job. I like the candid behind the scenes shots...

12. oscar11

Tapping the hole for a turning mandrel.
    brush build along 004_640x480.jpg
    brush build along 006_640x480.jpg

alpla444, GDCarrington and stonyloam like this.
  13. oscar11

O.K., we're heading to the lathe. Tools used, bottom to top. Roughing gouge, fingernail gouge, parting tool and skew. Roughing rouge is used to round the turning stock, fingernail gouge for detailing and shaping, parting tool for squaring the ends, skew for beading and finish cutting. brush build along 007_640x480.jpg

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. oscar11

The turning mandrel ,left, live center, right. Turning stock mounted in the lathe. brush build along 008_640x480.jpg antique gold 001_640x480.jpg

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. oscar11

A couple of things, if you look at the upper photo closely (post 14) brush build along 013_640x480.jpg , you'll notice a drip on the mandrel. It's liquid hand soap, it's used for lube to help remove the brush handle. They can get really tight sometimes. You'll notice the speed setting, it's fast. Safety is paramount. Light cuts and high speed will almost eliminate chipping, you still have to make good cuts. Remember safety first.

16. oscar11

Bringing it to round. This is done with the roughing gouge, at end I'll use the skew to clean it up. antique gold 002_640x480.jpg

alpla444 and GDCarrington like this.
  17. oscar11

antique gold 003_640x480.jpg
    Using the fingernail gouge and shaping the handle. Honestly, I usually don't start with any preconceived idea of what I'm trying to make. I just end up there and usually don't like it.

18. oscar11

Shape starting to take place. I usually square up both ends as soon as the turning stock is round. Use particular caution squaring on the knot end (left) if you get to aggressive it will chip.
    brush build along 009_640x480.jpg

19. oscar11

More detailing.
    brush build along 010_640x480.jpg

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Looking very cool so far. I'm really enjoying this! Thanks for sharing.