Brush Handle Finishing

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Redrock, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

For the folks that make their own wooden shave brush handles, has anyone ever used this wax for finishing? Or know anyone who has experience with it?

RENWAX.jpg

Thanks.......

RyX likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I was just thinking about maybe trying some sort of wax finish today. I will have to investigate. Maybe I will learn something from this thread.

3. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Jim,

There is a gentleman on the Against the Grain forum whose father makes brushes. He uses Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish on his brush handles. I ordered some. I will let you know how it works. I am looking for a finish other than poly/poly oil/urethane types of finishing products. Perhaps a coat of something like Watco Danish Oil and then the Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish?????? I'll do some experimenting.

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Looking forward to seeing your results as someday I will make some wood brushes without paint.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks. I will stay tuned.

6. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I can see using it over an oil finish as it was originally designed as a surface protectant, mainly for metals.

There are many other finishes that Woodturmers use (and that I think I’d prefer): friction polishes, CA glue finishes, Danish oil, mineral oil, etc. but I’d certainly be interested in peoples’ experiences with the Renaissance wax.

See
    https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entr...dturners-match-the-products-with-the-projects