Brush masters... a question please.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by zippersmith, Aug 28, 2007.

1. zippersmith

zippersmith New Member

I have been using a Proraso Omega boar brush and after 4 months it is settling into a very nice brush. I love the feel. I guess the tall loft is necessary or it wouldn't be very soft.

Anyway, Is there a high quality badger brush you might recommend with a feel similar to the Omega boar? I nearly always use soaps. I use a bowl AND also lather on my face. I like the scrubby feeling of the boar. And think I would rather have a brush with a smaller knot size.

Thank you.
    Chris

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Crabtree and Evelyn Best at $35.00 was my next step brush, it is not as soft as a silvertip or anyting but it will remind you of the Omega with its scrbbyness, yet softer and a smaller size.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yes, that or this:

Muehle Pinsel

the MP is my current favorite brush, I've been using it every day since I got it. Very scrubby, probably more so than the Omega....but I imagine it will soften up a bit with extended use. "settle" in, as you put it ;)

4. zippersmith

zippersmith New Member

I have a tweezerman, liked it okay, but found it a bit soft so I gave it a hair cut... kind of ruined it I'm afraid.

I used a BK4 for a week and really didn't like that ... bleah, way to soft and floppy splaying all over my face.

I've kind of been thinking about Rooney small 1, Simpson Tulip 2/Chubby 1/Duke 2/Polo 8, SR 3118 to 3122, or EJ small super.

Not inclined to try them all...but looking hoping someone will point me in the right direction, after knowing what I've tried, and my impressions of them. So I think I'm asking for a small, scrubby, high quality soap brush.

5. Will

Will Nevermind

All but the simpsons will be too soft.

I still say the C&E Best! ::

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Once again, what he said........BUT,

The Rooney has a "pure" grade that might be right up your alley. I have not tried it.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  8. Will

Will Nevermind

I assumed he meant the radically expensive soft ones. :rofl

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

Rooney in Super size 1 style 1, is a Fantastic brush....I really wish I would have bought it sooner. Great with soaps and also works well with creams...has good backbone to it, yet is still soft and comfy. :D

Lately, it has been the brush I've reached for most ;)

YMMV

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

:eek: Send it to me!!!! :D

11. xChris

xChris Member

Simpson from your list...

The Tulip 2 or Chubby 1 will be your best bets, preferably in "barbed" super badger.

12. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Duke 2 is my pick from the ones you mentioned. Has the scrubby feel to it because of the compact and dense knot, but the tips of the Best are nice and soft against your face.

13. zippersmith

zippersmith New Member

Wow thank you for the responses.
    So Maybe a Rooney small 1 in best, a chubby 1 best or super?, duke 2 best, or tulip 2..... or a C&E best.

Is there anyone here that has used these and can compare and contrast them for me?

I also failed to mention that I've used the small boar brush from the body shop...(a steal at $8) and really liked the scrubbyness...and size... it is just not "top shelf."

14. Padron

Padron Active Member

I can't speak of the Simpsons...I only have a Case Super...

I have a C&E Best and a Rooney 1/1 Super. The Rooney has a denser knot, alot more hair...Shorter loft ( hair length ) and is alot less floppy..

The C&E best is a nice $35 dollar brush, longer loft, less dense knot not overly floppy but pretty flexible it's just not in the same class as the $75 Rooney...there is a $50 Rooney with a Pure grade knot, I've never tried it though.

That probably doesn't help much, sorry :o

15. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

For soap lathering on your face: Chubby1 (mines in Super. Never tried the best)

16. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I love my C&E Best, but to me it feels a heck of a lot softer than the Omega boar. I'd venture to say that you'll have a very hard time finding a badger brush that is that scrubby.

17. zippersmith

zippersmith New Member

I've seen pictures of the C&E best and I think it looks kind of soft..... like a larger tweezerman?

18. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Definitely not that soft.

But also definitely much scrubbier than a super or silvertip.

19. Padron

Padron Active Member

My Rooney is much more scrubby, but with softer tips :D

20. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

The new American Badger brush is not soft.
    [vbpg]489[/vbpg]