Brush performance

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by JPJ, Aug 21, 2014.

1. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

So I'm new to this forum and new to straight razor shaving ... Really shaving all together because I've worn a beard both short and massive for the last 5 years...

I have a CVS $5 brush currently and know it obviously is not a "good" one... But my question is do the "better" and more expensive brushes really out perform the $5 brush?

And if so to what degree...

Is a $50 brush 10x better then the $5 brush?

I know I'll get a fancy brush sooner or later... But for know ill see what you all think.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Take a peek here first. Plenty of basic brush info that will aid you greatly as you discover the wide range of brushes out there, and an equally large range in prices.

A popular brush for those new to wet shaving are the Omega boar brushes (model 49, for example), which can be had online for less than $20—a tremendous value. I have two.
    Don't be too concerned about the ongoing ('never-ending') boar vs badger brush debate—try a variety and find what appeals to YOU.

I'm not a BIG brush collector ( I own about a dozen reasonably-priced models ;)), but there are those out there who can't seem to get enough…
    (This is not my collection, but estimate that most of these brushes exceed the $150/ea mark; many double it….)
    [​IMG]

3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

How did you get into my brush display room??? Lol...that is out of control!!

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

You will probably find the $5 brush shedding like a collie in summer. a good brush is worth spending a little on. That said there is no need to spend a weeks wages either. A good boar brush can be had for less than $20. A good badger will be a bit more. I have both and neither has shed more than 2 or 3 hairs. The badger will be passed down to my son someday. I recommend starting with an Omega boar brush, especially if you will be using soaps rather than creams. The boar is a little stiffer and works better on soap in my opinion.

Bristle Me likes this.
  5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Somebody is a huge Simpsons fan. :eek:

6. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Pretty much any brush, even a $5 one, is capable of making lather and delivering it to your face. Or legs or whatever. The difference lies in the bristles softness and backbone, handle design and material and the overall appearance of the brush.

Cost has very little to do with how well a brush performs, it's all based on personal preference and the only way to find that out is to try different brushes to see what you like. I prefer the synthetic knots from TGN over everything else and they are very inexpensive.

7. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

Thanks for the replies and education.

8. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

welcome to the den

9. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!! I am partial to the Turkish #6 from best shave and the Vie Long Horse Hair brushes.