Brush restoration dilemma . . .

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ThePossum, Oct 24, 2008.

1. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Happy Friday all,

I bought a vintage Ever Ready brush last weekend that needs a new knot. My dilemma is what grade of badger knot to put in it. I plan on sending it to "rodd" for restoration.

I currently have a C&E BBB so Best is out. I love this brush and really don't think I would ever go away from it for too long.

Choice #1 is a Silvertip Badger knot. I do use creams most of the time so this seems to make sense as a choice. But the BBB works with creams very well.

Choice #2 is a Pure Badger knot. This might limit me to using this brush with soaps. I base that conclusion on reading many posts in TSD as well as SMF and B&B about Pure Badger being really good for soaps and not so good with creams. I realize that some guys love Pure Badger for everything and I will take that into consideration.

Two other considerations:
    I also have another vintage ER brush in what I believe is boar bristle. It was my late father in laws's (he died when my wife was very young so I never met him). I have used it with soaps and creams and find it works well with soap (I do need to add soap to the brush for each pass) but not so well with creams.

Finally, if I get this ER in Silvertip, will I then decide not to wish for a Knotty Badger Silvertip for Christmas. That no doubt will disappoint rodd.

Any advice over the next couple days would be appreciated. I want to send the brush to rodd today and then when he gets it decide what knot to put in it.

Thanks guys & gals for your help.

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

The choices where I get my knots from are best and silvertip. Best would be the closest thing they have to pure. If you have a best now, and no silvertip I would go silvertip. The best will make a good soap brush and the silvertip a good cream brush. That is what I would do anyway, but whatever you decide on I am happy to do it. (and certainly don't worry about disappointing me!)

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I bought my 20mm knot from blankity. Installed it in an old handle that my wife bought for me when we were dating. It works great as a cream and soap brush. Silvertip.