Brush Restoration - Unique Issue

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Island Brian, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

I bought an Albright Rubberset brush on Ebay (see photo). I plan to replace the existing knot with a badger hair knot. I read the brush restoration threads in this forum, but I have a question about this brush and would like some input before I start in.

The top part of the brush that holds the knot is made of ceramic and has a hairline crack. My concern is that while drilling out the existing knot, I might
    shatter the darn thing and possibly ruin the brush. I am even more dubious of using the boiling water and pulling technique mentioned in one of the other brush restoration threads.

Does anyone have any ideas for alternative methods for me to remove the old knot and prepare the handle for the new knot. Alternatively, maybe someone has some good ideas on how to avoid shattering the ceramic knot holder part of the brush while drilling out the old knot, or how to fill the very fine crack (preferably so it will not be noticeable).

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.

Attached Files:

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Couldn't you use a sharp knife and simply carve it out by hand?

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

And epoxy the inside of the brush along the hairline crack?

4. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

Maybe. I am trying to follow the step-by-step plan that Mercv12 used in the thread titled "Step-by-step Ever-Ready brush restoration", but your ideas sound possible too. I am thinking that since its a cylinder, it would be hard to get a knife in there to cut out all the ends of the existing knot. Maybe an x-acto knife would do it?

Another idea is if I set my drill in a vice and use a fairly small bit, perhaps I would be able to have more control and work more carefully. I do not own one of those Dremel thingies, but perhaps its time to get one. . .

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Forget it. I trashed 3 vintage handles trying to drill them out. I don't know how Mercv12 did it, because I just ended up brush handle scraps.

6. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

I hope you are successful with the restoration Brian. That is a cool looking handle.

7. akady

akady New Member

What about using a soldering iron and burning it out? it will smell like the dickens but should work after you cut off the top part and try knifing it.

8. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Bush Restoration? I thought you could only serve two consecutive terms as POTUS?

9. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Get a Forstner bit 18mm or slightly smaller that the knot. Drill slow.

Or Put some Marine epoxy in the crack and drill fast after it dries.

Forstner bits are the way to go. A 19mm with a file will get you where you need to be for a 20mm knot.

Trim the hair to the top of the handle. The bit of the forstner was the exact depth of he knot so I Just drilled until the bit was about 1/8" below the top.

10. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

Great suggestions! I am fairly new to these boards, but really appreciate the community and support.

I think I will epoxy the crack on the exterior first (hopefully without ruining the look of the handle). Then, I am kinda liking the "burn it out" suggestion because it offers a "no friction" alternative to avoid stressing the crack. Plus it has the advantage of playing with fire, which adds a cool factor. The Forstner bit would be my backup plan because if I get the right size it too should not stress the damaged handle. Once the hairs are clear, I'll expoxy the inside where the crack is.

Keep the ideas coming! When I get to the resto, I'll try to remember to photo document post the photos in an album.

THANKS