Brush soaking?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by matthewoli98, Aug 17, 2019.

1. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, my first brush was a cheap synthetic, but earlier this year i was very generously sent an omega 49 and Wilkinson sword classic shave in a PIF from a friend in the UK, and while the omega is definitely a better quality brush, both are fantastic boar brushes. I usually soak my brushes in relatively warm water for +-10 minutes before shaving. Will soaking a brush in warm or hot water cause damage in the long term? Thanks!

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

PatrickA51, Boru62, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i have had i experience where soaking a wood handled omega boar split the handle..so i soak the bristles only now in warm water..

PatrickA51, RyX, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  3. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Hot water can loosen up the knot. Not too sure on the effect it may have on the bristles themselves as I prefer hot water when using a boar... they rarely get used so when I do I like to enjoy them. With badger I know this is an absolute no no. Badger hair is much finer and the hot water can burn the tips + the humidity of the water can affect the glue holding the knot together causing it to shed much more. I’d assume the same would follow in terms of the boar brushes glue causing it to shed much more. They are cheap anyway, I get mine at my drug store for 10CAD which would be £7 maybe even less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I dip, swirl, shake, and go to the puck, then face lather, dipping the tips as needed to obtain a slick lather.

5. Campion

Campion Active Member

I set a boar brush in a mug with water for about 2 minutes. Never the knot- just the bristle. A badger I will run under the faucet for 20-30 seconds. A synth I wet, shake, and go.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

To paraphrase Albert Einstein, " Keep it simple, Shaver". I generally prefer boar bristle and 90%+ of my lather made with cool tap water shave. My brushes gets all of a - set it in my shave bowel full of water. grab the soap and razor, shake the excess water out of the brush, & lather - kind of soak. Rarely more than 30 seconds sitting in water. Badger and synthetic the same. Unless someone invents a porous synth fiber they only need a dip.

7. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

time
    No not at all. I haven't had the misfortune that @brit has encountered but I think it's a problem of that particular model and Gary solved the problem.
    I now only soak to just below the knot whereas I previously soaked in a full mug.
    I think we're a bit over protective these days.
    My dad only ever had one boar brush at a time, and I only ever saw two different brushes so each one lasted him a long time.
    He soaked his brush while he washed and then after his shave he rinsed it thoroughly, held it just below the knot and shook it and then rubbed it along the towel and hung it on a stand.

8. Jaybo

Jaybo New Member

When I use an animal hair brush I fill my scuttle with hot water in both chambers, then soak the Vie-Long horsehair brush in the hot water while I wash my face. After a minute or so the brush ready to use. However, I use a synthetic bristle brush almost all the time: no soaking required, better lathering and no chance of damage to the bristles.

CastleShave, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  9. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

10. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't soak any of my brushes. COLD Water Shaves. Just wet the brush with cold water, shake it off, load it and begin to face lather. Simple.
    I do clean it with hot water though. Towel dry and let it sit hairs up to air dry.

12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011:

PatrickA51, CastleShave and Jayaruh like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree.

I drop my badger and boar and horse brushes unto a sink of hot water while I shower. Just straight out of the hot water tank hot. Never had any issues. I would think you might have problems with boiling water but not hot tap water.

Like @Jayaruh said you can make lather just fine without soaking at all. (Just ignore all that cold water rubbish) I prefer to soak a brush in the hot water though to warm it up.

Boru62, RyX and CastleShave like this.
  14. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I place my brush in my scuttle, filled with hot tap-water, while I shower. I use hot water as it releases and absorbs the scent of the lather, while cold water will lock in the scent. Heat will both allow retention and release scent, while when you cool the bristles down, the scent becomes more locked-in. Heat requires molecules to expand, while a drop in temp constricts the molecules.

RyX and CastleShave like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Uh, oh. Another point of dissension? From the advice of others, as a Newb I thought it was necessary to hang a brush bristles down to allow full drying. Now I set mine bristles up after shaving. No difference in dropping bristles. No mildew growth that I've noticed.

16. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I let them dangle at an angle.
    008BA18B-FD22-4442-8E11-45528823585C.jpeg

I used some copper wire to create an adjustable brush hanger and it’s worked very well. Up or down, they dry at an angle.

17. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Dip them as you like it (hot or cold)
    Shake
    Load
    Lather
    Rinse
    Dry

PatrickA51 and brit like this.