brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by icemanwbs, Nov 16, 2014.

1. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just because I'm so new to this ( less than 2 months ) but I seam to like the original boar brush that came in my first kit ( VDH ) Better than Tweezerman badger ( seams it's way to "floppy" when it's wet and doesn't have that good control feeling) . I also have an omega Pro 49 that though very "stiff" just feel the handle is too big and brush itself too tall. I'd, guess I'm going to be shelling out some more shackles in pursuit of my perfect brush. :D

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The hunt is part of the fun :bounce015:

icemanwbs likes this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Steve is right! Happy hunting! :happy088:

icemanwbs likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Remember spending "MORE" money doesn't insure getting a brush that will work for you. If the VDH boar brush works for you than stick with it.
    Consider the brush I use, the #6 horse hair brush, from bestshave.net. While there is controversy about whether it's made of horse or boar, most people who have actually used it, including myself, find it to be an EXCELLENT knot in a CHEAP wooden handle. For $5 shipped I feel its worth a try. I've happily used mine for over 2 years now. It is possible to get the knot out of the handle and rehandle it, but you will destroy the handle(no loss).
    As Steve said the hunt is absolutely part of the fun!! And finding an inexpensive brush that works well, for me at least, was a nice bonus:D

Tattoobob, dbersh and icemanwbs like this.
  5. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Many of us prefer Boar over Badger brushes for a variety of reasons. I use an Omega 81052 and can't find a flaw with it but based on the OP's comment about handle size, it's squarish handle may not be suitable.

icemanwbs likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I really like my original VDH boar. I gave it a face-lift. I sanded down the "seams" on the handle, painted it, and added some O-rings to class it up. It is one of my best brushes.
    vdh_premium_boar3.jpg

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm one who prefers badger over boar. 9 badger, 6 boar, 2 synthetic, 1 badger/boar mix and they all get used.

8. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I just got my VDH brush last week and have been really happy with it so far. My only minor complaint is that it looses a few hairs every time I use it.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That hair loss may stop. Sometimes they shed and sometimes they do not. I've had it both ways. I was happy that this one did not.

icemanwbs likes this.
  10. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

Went ahead and ordered , can't go wrong that price. :)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  11. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Frank shaving and parker make affordable good badger brushes. Once you figure out what you like you can go for others like simpson or thater. Boars are inexpensive and nice semogue is very nice for around $20. I like Kent's simpson and thater but do use a semogue boar on occasion
    Everyone finds Kent's floppy I do as well but fully loaded I find them as soft and luxurious as you can get.

icemanwbs likes this.
  12. HUF

HUF Active Member

Soak the 49 in hot water for 5 minutes (only the knot) and then smash it into your wet face with an almond size cream. You gonna love it! Do not worry about damaging the bristles when you smash it. The brush will last some 20 years. The boars are so good (I have a dozen) that I do not even want to try a badger.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    icemanwbs likes this.
  13. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Vintage Blades 2-Band brushes are a good value for the money. Also, if you want a boar brush, most of the Semogues would be great, economical brushes!
    Good luck and enjoy the search! :)

icemanwbs likes this.