Brushes, Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jay_gatz, Sep 3, 2021.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

So I have a modest collection of brushes, but after trying the Simpson Chubby 2 (not sure why it took so long to get around to it), I'm pretty sure it's the best of the lot. I'm even thinking of picking up a Chubby 1, and becoming a two brush dude...well, and a travel brush

IMG_0192.jpg

2. Ky K

Ky K Well-Known Member

Congratulations and bring more!!!I am a brush-a-Holoc and proud of it they are just so good. I end up with a couple on order trying to talk myself out of buying building 2-3 more at the same time and not regretting any of that mountain I’m building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico, brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Always did love those style of Rubberset handles - last one, bottom row. And that red and white one looks mighty fine too - first one, top row. What's the brand on it?

Used to be you could look at a brush and know exactly what the brand was, but with all of these makers and turners out here making heritage and homage copies and clones, it's hard to tell brand anymore, especially with a newer modern knot used in a restore.

Ijustmissedthe50s, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  4. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Could you please give us a comparison of your new favorite brush with, say one of the Semogues?

Thank you in advance.

5. jay_gatz

It is stamped "C-MON 77". It is one I picked up on ebay and restored.

6. jay_gatz

So right now, my favorite is the Chubby 2. Both of the Semogues are great brushes though. The Badger is about three months old, but I have had the Boar for around 6 years? Beats any Omega Boar by a country mile. The semogue badger is a damn fine brush. I would rank it above the Simpson Commodore for example. If I think about it, I would even say it scores second place, even with my Morris and Fondren Blonde. The M&F is a hair softer tipped, but the Semogue is scratchy while being soft at the same time if that makes sense. Plus the acrylic and black Semogue handles are just sexy as hell.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Tedolph like this.
  7. Tedolph

It makes perfect sense. Semogue does some kind of black magic with boar bristle making the tips break in very soft. If my 1305 would ever wear out (painted handle is beat up-probably 10years old now) I would probably get the acrylic handle version. But alas, the 1305 will probably out live me unless the handle splits!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's because they use a mix of cut and uncut bristles. "Percentage tops" is the terminology used by them for flagged bristles, (the natural feathering at the end of a boar bristle).

As far as I know, all other boar manufacturers use 100% cut bristles.

Edit: the 1305 uses 'premium 90% tops,' as does the 805 (edit: 830), the acrylic handled version of the 1305.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Sevenbark and Tedolph like this.
  9. jay_gatz

See, this is how this works, I'm now googling Semogue 805, but the closest I am finding is 830...

PLANofMAN and Tedolph like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Typo on my part. Should have been 830.

11. Tedolph

That 830 is one sexy brush but the Omega acrylic sitting next to it is good looking too. I just don't know if the Omega would ever break in as soft.

Lancre likes this.
  12. jay_gatz

I have checked the hairs in that Omega, and they are splitting, just like the Semogue. I always feel like I need to stick to one brush for an extended period of time. With the variety, which I love, it's like I get up and go "ok, which do I feel like today". Maybe if I choose a brush, and stick with it for a month, I will get a better feeling for how they break in. Mainly with boars, I feel like by the third shave you have a pretty good idea how a badger is going to treat you over it's lifetime.

13. Tedolph

Since you have both, how would you compare the 830 to that Omega?

14. jay_gatz

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. jay_gatz

The Omega 81052 https://www.westcoastshaving.com/pr...HbCaN1V6Dffpvh5iuse_pFpI4w7PLJPAaAiUNEALw_wcB, has longer bristles. 54mm vs 50mm on the Semogue. Although, as I mentioned, that Semogue is actually the 620. The 830 has slightly longer loft at 55mm, and I have one on the way to try out. What I notice as a difference between the Semogue 620 and the Omega 81052 is this:

The Omega is a shorter version of the 10083 which has a whopping 62mm loft. That's the first brush I bought when I started DE shaving again in 2008, many of us probably have one. So the shorter Omega in the picture, the 81052 was a nice shorter boar brush, but it has similar qualities to the 10083, can feel, for lack of a better term, "boar-ish", nothing that makes you go "hmmm, maybe boar lovers are onto something". Even with the shorter loft it can still seen a tad floppy.

The Semogue 620, on the other hand, does make you go "hmmm". It has ridiculous backbone, but the softness is there. It's hard to describe, but if you think of the bottom third of the knot being an immovable structure, and the top two thirds as the part that is flexible, yet soft, that should give you an idea. It is my favorite boar so far, and I have to admit I have limited experience with boar. I am not sure I am aware of another Boar brush with a loft of only 50mm. It makes a huge difference though.

16. jay_gatz

17. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Another thread I read recently reminded me I had still not gotten around to trying a Semogue boar brush. Then this thread. Of course I had to check the links. Then, of course, I had to do some research, which one to try. Then, of course, I remembered I also wanted to try a Razorock Plissoft. Then, of course, it's Labor Day weekend and stuff was on sale. Then, of course there's the free shipping if you order more stuff. Then of course just a little more and I'm at the free shipping amount. One Semogue, a 620, three Plissoft and a tube of shaving cream,

18. jay_gatz

Alright then. The 620 is a cool short loft boar brush. I like it. I’ll report on the 830 soon.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Tedolph and Enrico like this.
  19. jay_gatz

830 arrived today. Will report back next week.

IMG_0232.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    PLANofMAN and IAmTheJody like this.
  20. Gairdner

Gairdner Well-Known Member

Tried a few Semogues but never liked them. Always preferred that big fat Omega Knot - broke in so quick, terrific backbone yet wonderfully soft split tips and lathers anything brilliantly. If I wasn’t a bit of brush-a-holic and liked each hair type for its own characteristics, I could easily be happy with yon Omega boar for every shave all my days.

Enjoy your brushes, they look magnificent!