Brushes: Name your preference (poll)

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rusty blade, Sep 17, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2015.
  1. Badger

36.0%
  2. Boar

29.3%
  3. Horse

9.3%
  4. Synthetic

29.3%
  5. All the above

5.3%
  6. None of the above (for those who hand lather)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Whatever mood strikes me

16.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I find my preferences for my shaving hardware and software are changing over time. As for brushes, I started with a badger and I switched to boar.
    What is your preferred brush?:signs002: Badger, boar, horse, or synthetic? All the above? Or none?

Douglas Carey and PatrickA51 like this.
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Badger, Boar, and Synthetics. In that order.

211bma, Douglas Carey and PatrickA51 like this.
  3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I use a Kent BLK4 and I love it.

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

they all measure up against badger.
    just as soft as badger
    makes lather as well a badger
    plush and dense as a badger
    more backbone than a badger
    all measured against the badger

high end always badger
    bottom line, badger is king among the shave brushes.
    although a have some of all kinds, badger is the MAC.

Douglas Carey, PatrickA51 and IDuck like this.
  5. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

2 badger; 2 boar; one synthetic. I have a hard time choosing sometimes. So it's whatever strikes me for this shave. Lately I've been using my latest boar the most. Still busting that bronco. But it's looking good and feeling good. I usually choose by this method because it works for me... Badgers- creams and croaps. Boar- hard soaps. Synthetic- anything and travel.

Douglas Carey and PatrickA51 like this.
  6. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I have 1 Boar that after 1 year is soft enough for me actually use. It's an origional 1985 Old Spice (of course), I only use it with soaps, which I only have a couple. My favorites are Silvertips from Larry over at Whipped Dog, deep set 45-52 mm. I have 1 Silvertip from another vendor, only cause Larry was out, and it's not even close, as far as being extremely soft with good backbone. I have 1 Synthetic and I like it, but it's not a Silbertip. I have a few vintage brushes with the origional badger knots that I use, but again they aren't Silvertips. YMMV

7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have several "Oscar11 Brushes" and I also have Whipped Dog Silver Tip. My WD Silver Tip was my preferred brush. I got my first "Oscar 11" from Steve to try it out. There was no turning back. I prefer his custom made brushes. I am not running down Whipped Dog Brushes, they are far better than any of the other brushes that I have. But I will say that Oscar 11 Brush are superb and they will have to pry them from my cold dead hands, YMMV some thing I like my best friend may hate. To each his own.

Douglas Carey and Dzia Dzia like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have 2 Synthetics, 6 Badgers, 5 boars, 1 mixed badger/boar, 1 unknown hair brush (probably goat) and 1 horsehair brush.

With the exception of the unknown hair and the horsehair brush, they all get used randomly. The unknown is too small to comfortably use, or even uncomfortably use, and I detest horsehair brushes.

9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have 1 badger and 4 boar (2 Omega and 2 Semogue). I use them in rotation, but often skip over the badger. I tend to use it infrequently. I prefer a brush with a bit of backbone...;)

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Badger, boar and then synthetics in that order.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

When I started wet shaving I was a boar user, I sent out a brush to Gary for rehabbing, the knot needed to be replaced. It's an Ever-Ready 150, I left it up to Gary as far as what needed to be done as I completely trusted him. What Gary returned to me change the way I thought about synthetic brushes.
    image.jpeg

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I prefer badger but sometimes I enjoy boar and horse. I'm not fond of the synthetics, the face feel is unnatural for me.

I use badger 85%, boar 10% and horse 5%.

13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I don't care for horse hair. The rest I'm good with synthetic, boar and 2 band badger. I use boar the most.

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

good to see your avitar back. hope your doing well.

PatrickA51 and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Overall, I prefer boars.....although I have a number of badgers which are pleasurable to use. I like the way the boars feel when face lathering. I tried face lathering with the badgers and it does not work for me. I am back to my original brush use - badgers with creams - boars with hard/soft soaps.

Kind of a wishy-washy answer.:ashamed001:

16. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Synthetic. That Plisson knot is like being kissed by an angel.

17. recon813

recon813 New Member

I tend to rotate all three. If pushed I would go...Badger, Boar, then Syn. But as I stated I love them all with different types of soaps

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I love, love, love the Silvertip badger!

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Plisson ended brushes for me. It's that good.

PatrickA51, Douglas Carey and Omaney like this.
  20. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I like my HIS synthetic best, but the Simpson Colonel is close.