Brushmakers Forum- calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Mail call brought a 1/2” router bit extender that is the perfect 12 buck collet chuck for my wonderful Beall I-X collets. Set up in the sunshine immediately and turned a couple more prototypes. The eagley one is pearwood, the beehive probably cherry. For quick prototypes I’m pretty happy.

What did I learn?
    The router bit extender works great once it is bound down tight.
    Variable rings on a beehive look dumb, but now I have a good idea of the depth and spacing I’ll want.

They are both drilled for 28mm boar knots and have a light beeswax finish just to bring out any grain. I am liking the feel of the pearwood. The cherry has nicer color, grain, and spalting; but it’s kinda punky. I’ve got the worst side showing - nicest spalting and weakest wood. I will be interested to see what sort of blanks I can get out of my black walnut.
    4D955FC5-D947-4A2A-B509-00C3B9DEC86A.jpeg

The set up:
    E948EA9F-4A15-4296-B231-7F4D053B4945.jpeg

GAW9576, brit, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan Well-Known Member

I’m not familiar with those bit extenders. Very interesting.
    As for the punky wood- Have you used wood stabilizer before? Works well on soft or punky woods.

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096: You're well on your way to making a great looking beehive.

:eatdrink013:

RyX, Tanuki and brit like this.
  4. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I just happened to run into the bit extenders when looking for the right chuck to hold the Beall I-X. Looks like the are many price points, but the low end one I bought is doing the job and staying well out of the way while turning. I figured the runout spec must be good if it does the job in a router. A bonus is that the extender’s locking nut presses out against the I-X collet when loosening, helps free the Beall’s shank from the extender’s collet.

I haven’t tried wood stabilizer yet. I have used Minwax’s brush-on ‘wood hardener’ product for woodwork restoration around the home, but I don’t think that would work well for turning. Any suggested products? The blank I was using for the prototype wasn’t weak enough to crumble, but it couldn’t be turned or sanded to a clean surface.

brit, RyX and jtspartan like this.
  5. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Thanks! The spherical profile on this prototype is a real fist filler. My friend has big paws and likes big scrubby knots, so this is the way I may loft the final product. It won’t splay much.
    D0BD74D5-C19B-4FEB-B48A-929B50B0178E.jpeg

9nein9, jtspartan, brit and 4 others like this.
  6. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Very possible the YaYa had a little moisture to it. I would pour a small amount in a cup (keep it clear) and stick a scrap of both woods in there and see what it does. Moisture in the wood has screwed up many things for me with Alumilite.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Teak in Alumilite. It's over 20 years old but was sitting in a shed in the damp Santa Cruz Mountains where it obviously picked up more moisture than I expected. Alumilite still hardens but it puffs up if the wood isn't totally dry. A few thin scraps of wood tested in clear resin will possibly give you the answer.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Tanuki, 9nein9, brit and 4 others like this.
  7. jtspartan

The product I had was called Pentacryl. I used it to stop checking in a drying burl a number of years ago.

9nein9, brit, Tanuki and 1 other person like this.
  8. jtspartan

That is very good advice! Thanks for that, and yes, I think this may be the culprit...I'll look to do the moisture test you recommended.

9nein9, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

awesome handle.can't decide on the knot yet..thank you Jason.. 20191006_152100.jpg

KUSTOM, AGHisBBS, 9nein9 and 3 others like this.
  10. 9nein9

9nein9 Well-Known Member

Wow Jason! Great job !

RyX, brit and jtspartan like this.
  11. 9nein9

9nein9 Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it , last spring( i havent been on the lathe since then) my chuck flew off twice . Its not a PSI brand , but just the same it scared the crap out of me . I blamed it on inexperience on my part bit will now look into this deeper.

RyX, brit, jtspartan and 1 other person like this.
  12. 9nein9

9nein9 Well-Known Member

Very nice work!

RyX, brit and jtspartan like this.
  13. 9nein9

9nein9 Well-Known Member

Beautiful job!

RyX, brit and KUSTOM like this.
  14. 9nein9

9nein9 Well-Known Member

20191008_001925.jpg
    Finally knotted this baby. I named it the Black Pearl. This is 1 of 2 identical handles I made a few months back. The other handle now resides in Louisianna with @wchnu .

RyX, Tanuki, GatorJoe and 6 others like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Beautiful. I will get a knot in mine soon!!

RyX, 9nein9, jtspartan and 1 other person like this.
  16. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Tried to turn a test handle today, but I liked the woodpile blank so much I finished it off. It was the crazy grain that got me. I even came to acceptance of the tiny tear out in the twig sized knot. I will mail this off to a friend with a love of large scrubby knots and gargantuan handles. I will make him glue the knot, hoping that he’ll set it at least 3mm higher.

Pearwood
    Huge eagle-ish shape, just under 60mm tall and 50mm max diameter
    28mm Shave Forge boar knot
    Beeswax finish
    Scrubby loft (and how!)
    C4B12BEA-9E46-4BFC-8313-85B4AC4E5993.jpeg

jtspartan, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  17. 9nein9

9nein9 Well-Known Member

Thanks . Cant wait to see it!

RyX likes this.
  18. 9nein9

9nein9 Well-Known Member

That looks great!

brit and RyX like this.
  19. jtspartan

Resin ‘Fixing’ Project:

Earlier on this thread I posted pics of a brush handle of mine where the resin didn’t harden properly on the wood edge. Lots of good advice came as to why- probably moisture in the wood.
    I decided to try and save the resin top as I really liked it.
    Here is the brush ‘before’, you can see the whitish, cloudy soft resin along the wood edge:
    3141CD2F-B73F-499A-A39A-2C615E7A60A8.jpeg
    Took it back to the lathe to partition off the top. I turned a 1 inch round ‘end’ to fit into a new handle. In the pic below, you can see where I was about to part it off. I also wanted wood on the bottom for a good bond, and not the 1/8th in or so of soft resin. Chose the same wood, YaYa:
    875B70D7-0535-48B0-8CFA-AA256EB63639.jpeg
    Next, I turned a new base for the handle, and used a 1 inch sawtooth to hollow out a receptacle for the top part:
    89E5E6AC-B25A-4E66-AC65-5ADF3E583AB5.jpeg
    Finished turning it and made sure the top fit well:
    24513449-34F9-4D5B-A938-0DF5DA4E5EE3.jpeg
    Epoxied the two pieces together, applied finish, some buffing and voila:
    47C4BAE4-1BA4-4F48-AF98-3DFF2EC09216.jpeg
    I’m quite pleased with it, truth be told.

GAW9576, PLANofMAN, RyX and 8 others like this.
  20. jtspartan

Awesome work!

RyX, brit and 9nein9 like this.