Brushmakers Forum- calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and lightcs1776 like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Spalted wood is created by a fungus that gives wood a marbled appearance. It can also make the wood soft, which means you can end up with a broken piece, but they really make nice bowls. A burl is wood growth where the grain grows in many directions, kind of swirling around. It can be caused by an infection in the tree, but also from a part that doesn't grow right, such as an unformed bud that doesn't become a branch.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Moose, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  3. 9nein9

9nein9 El Scratcho

Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

RyX, Linuxguile and lightcs1776 like this.
  4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Well, I'll give this a shot. If you guys have any questions please ask. I'm entirely self taught on the lathe. I wanted to make my own coyote calls and that's what started it for me. I like open reed calls the best as I feel they're more versatile. There are quite a few dead North Dakota coyotes that will attest to the fact that they work. No electronic calls for me. From there I got interested in bowls, pens, etc and have spent a fair amount of time with hollow forms(vases with small openings) which is really what I should spend more time with. I find them the most challenging. I give most of my turnings away or throw them in the closet in my shop and my wife will go through my stuff and hound me until I finish them. Most of my wood stuff is finished with tung oil. I use a Vicmarc chuck most of the time but have used most of the other stuff too. For shaving brushes my favorite material is cast acrylic. It's very hard stuff. I can only get about 2 brushes before I have to resharpen my tools, I literally wear them out. If you think straight razor are difficult to sharpen try some turning tools once. I've had to make some of my own tools for turning cast acrylic but use skews and bowl scrappers also. I always drill on the lathe and try and finish as much as possible on the lathe but there is a fair amount of hand work done off the lathe. I would encourage turners to develop style with the items they are turning. I usually don't like anything I do when it comes off the lathe, after a few days I can look at it more objectively. I am my severest critic. One thing I'll admit to is that I like problems and I like to figure them out myself. I'll add some more later and try and round up some of my turnings and take a few pics. There are some very artistic people in my mother's family, I didn't get that gene but learned to work around it sometimes. Have a good one.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Keithmax, Jayaruh, AGHisBBS and 7 others like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH! Staff Member

Your brush handles are ...

(Wait for it)

Legendary!

Folks who own them seem very happy to have received one. Can't wait to see what your other works look like!

brit, AGHisBBS, 9nein9 and 2 others like this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Agree completely with the need to develop your own style. Your handles are stunning and instantly recognizable.
    I have often used Tung Oil for finishing wood as well, but have stuck primarily with marine grade Urethane for brush handles.
    I use scrapers as well. I also have a Crown Tools small fingernail grind gouge/beading tool that is very good for intricate work. I don’t find myself reaching for the Skew very often on handles, to be honest.

Do you make your handles one at a time?

I have only done a few resin pours- a question I have for someone who is very experienced with it: What do you use for casting forms?

Paul76, Keithmax, Jayaruh and 5 others like this.
  7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Here's a Jason Creation that he generously PIFed to me.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8. brit

brit in a box

that is a gorgeous brush..

RyX, jluc and jtspartan like this.
  9. 9nein9

9nein9 El Scratcho

Seen a guy on YouTube using large pill bottles . The resin shrinks as it dries and the mold drops right out.

10. 9nein9

9nein9 El Scratcho

Right now I'm learning as i go from my girlfriends Dad and he said same thing....develope you're own style lol. He said he's there to train me and provide encouragement, the rest is up to me . I like that .

brit, AlDm, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Yes, I only make one at a time. I will mix my own finish at times too. I would like to try pouring my own resins, maybe this summer sometime. I like color. I have played with stabilizing wood. I worked for the city and knew the City Forester quite well so if he found some interesting wood he'd usually save it for me, basically burls. I live in an area that's not a tree rich environment. Unfortunately my straight razor habit keeps me broke most of the time so I don't have the the cash needed to experiment as much as I'd like.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Looks real nice-as do all of his creations.

9nein9, jtspartan and jluc like this.
  13. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Great curves and proportions.

RyX, 9nein9, jtspartan and 1 other person like this.
  14. jtspartan

Thank, Paul, but you don’t see the ones that hit the garbage! My next resin/wood combo after this one didn’t harden properly. I think my basement was too cold, actually. Ended up binning a few blanks.

RyX, brit, 9nein9 and 1 other person like this.
  15. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Super rad topic. As far as approach goes...

First, music is turned up real loud- Motorhead or Bongzilla would both be excellent choices. Then I'll rip the blank on my table saw so it's pretty square. Mount it in a chuck with a live center and part off the very top edge so it's clean. Drill out the hole with a forstner bit on low speed, sand, and coat with 4 layers of CA if there's anything non-resin exposed. If the hole only goes into resin I'll leave it alone. Flip it around and attach with pin-jaw chuck. Turn high speed to final shape with a live center. Remove center and finish bottom. Drop to slow speed and sand, 10 coats CA, wet sand, polish, and buff all in reverse rotation. ( I find it easier to do this stuff with the handle pulling away from me rather than pushing towards me.) These were the only pics I had on hand- 3 different blanks but you get the idea.

ischiapp, Enrico, AlDm and 12 others like this.
  16. jtspartan

Awesome pics and stunning results! You do 10 full coats of CA glue on the lathe? I’ve never used it as a finish. Does it take all 10 to build up enough, or to shine enough?
    Since you do your own pours, what do you use as a form?

Keithmax, RyX, brit and 3 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

18. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    10 coats will shine up like glass and will withstand a hell of a lot of abuse. I use HDPE plastic for rectangular molds. You could also hot glue up some foam core for a mold and just turn it off on the lathe. Depends on the resin you want to use and how long the work time is.

brit, AGHisBBS, RyX and 4 others like this.
  19. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I have a decent table saw, miter saw and a lathe. What am I waiting for?

Thanks to all for the inspiration!

20. jtspartan

This was the Resin I used for the mixed wood/resin brush that Jim showed above.
    ecopoxy.PNG
    With this metallic pigment:
    Capture.PNG

I picked these products for two main reasons. One- they were available in my town without having to order them in. Two- I could use it in the basement without a respirator.
    Do you have a preferred product I should look for instead?

brit, AlDm, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.