Brushmakers Thread - Calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If you do this, I would like to see you post the steps, and results. It should make for a good read.

2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I tried it once.It soaks through. If you use the empty roll you need to cover it all in tape.

brit and DaltonGang like this.
  3. DaltonGang

Couldnt you just coat it inside,with a little Krylon Spray Paint, or any spray paint? That might seal it well enough.

GAW9576 and jtspartan like this.
  4. jtspartan

It would, yes. You have to tape the bottom perfectly anyway so that it doesn’t run out.

GAW9576 and DaltonGang like this.
  5. DaltonGang

You can name the first one made that way after me. My College colors are red/black(Texas Tech Univ). I would be willing to buy it off of you, if it works. :D:D

jtspartan and GAW9576 like this.
  6. jtspartan

When I go get some more resin (and some red and black dyes), sure. Not sure when that will be, however. Just used the last of my resin for some green and white handles.

GAW9576, 9nein9 and DaltonGang like this.
  7. jtspartan

Another resin/wood combo. I turned the two pieces separately, then epoxied the resin and wood parts together afterwards. Creates a little different look and others I have done this way have stood the test of time durability-wise. Green Metallic resin and Sapele is a combo I have used before. The Sapele is a very nice wood to turn and will take on a mahogany-like patina as it ages. The Omega Pro48 is a good companion for it, methinks. One test lather to make sure the knot is secure and then it will be sent off to its TSD owner:
    IMG_5724.jpg

MrEE, Hembree, jgreenepa and 4 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

that's a beauty.Jason..well done..what kind of wood is really dark in color?

9. jtspartan

Really dark wood? Darker than Walnut? Rosewood can be dark, and oil finishes make it quite dark. Cocobolo is similar. Ebony is very dark, obviously, but isn’t really a common project wood. Purple Heart can be very dark at times. To be honest, I don’t think I have experience with anything that is consistently darker brown than Walnut.

9nein9, GAW9576 and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

maybe i am seeing more dark finishes than dark woods..i remember a black walnut maybe?

11. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Beautiful handle. Nice shape and combination of wood and resin.

I've made a fair amount of stuff with Gabon Ebony, it's probably the darkest wood I know of. It turns nicely and finishes beautifully.

brit and jtspartan like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

another fine example of our Jason's @jtspartan craft and skill.i just received these today.omega 10098 in walnut with matching bowl..absolutely beautiful.
    20201027_125730_edited.jpg

13. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Beautiful.

brit likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

Very nice, I have one like that, that you made a while back. Just a smaller version.

15. DaltonGang

Anyone know where @oscar11 disappeared to?? I haven't seen him around here in a long while..

GAW9576 likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

very nice Patrick..:cool:..fine work..

Hembree, GAW9576 and 9nein9 like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

very cool..glad you are enjoying the lathe again..:)
    :)

GAW9576, Hembree and 9nein9 like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

after the summer you had with the house reno's and all it's well needed i am sure:)..

GAW9576 and 9nein9 like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

very cool..i foresee many creations ahead..:)

GAW9576 and 9nein9 like this.
  20. jtspartan

Awesome work, Patrick. Love the keyhole and milk churn handles, and love the burn technique you used on the barrel. Great stuff!

GAW9576, brit and 9nein9 like this.