Brushmakers Forum- calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I’m available for adoption if I can work in your shop.... and maybe get access to your woodpile!

BTW, I’m not telling how deeply @GAW9576 drilled the knot hole in the olive wood handle he gave me. However, it did require a big cork spacer just to loft it short and scrubby! :D

KUSTOM and GAW9576 like this.
  2. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Between the taper, the thinness of the step down, and the soft wood, I did not think to even try a chuck. On a hardwood blank, I might need new jaws for my chuck for those diameters. I don’t own any bowl turning jaws. If I needed to make bunches of thin disc-like objects I would be looking for a better setup.

I turned these lids with the worse side of the blank (surface cracks, bad splinters, thick black weathering) screwed to a faceplate. There was so much waste built into the blanks that I didn’t mind throwing a lot of ‘wood’ (speaking loosely) into the burn box.

Incidentally, some of the black crust on the outer surfaces smelled pretty weird when I was taking it down. I was glad to be turning outside to avoid breathing any of the dust.

GAW9576 and 9nein9 like this.
  3. 9nein9

9nein9 El Scratcho

Nice work!!

GAW9576 likes this.
  4. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Thanks! My first flat items. Now I’m thinking about a wooden shave bowl, not that I need one.

GAW9576 and 9nein9 like this.
  5. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I made that handle for loft experimentation purposes. I hope you are enjoying it. Cork is a great idea for a spacer. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I've thought of doing a shave bowl. I've only ever turned 1 very small bow and that was in a class.

6. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I love that brush! The olive wood is amazing and your finish is perfect. I rotate about 8 brushes through the cabinet above my shaving sink. Except that brush. It never leaves the den. I just give it two or three days to dry completely, then I use it again.

I’m nosing around, trying to decide what glass or plastic item to use to line a shave bowl. If I turn it out of that century-old fir I better keep it dry inside, even with a robust finish applied.

GAW9576 likes this.
  7. GAW9576

If you completely coat the whole thing i think you would be fine. Especially with proper care. If you line it you are more likely to have issues because water can get stuck between the lining in the wood.
    My Grandma had some really cool woven wooden laminated bowls. They lasted forever. Wish I knew what they where finished with and where they went. I would like a set of them.

Tanuki likes this.
  8. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Very nice. Not having the Mugs handy would make fitting very tough. Good job doing it without. With bowls that have matching lids, I always just fit the bowl to the lid while the lid is still on the lathe.

GAW9576 and Tanuki like this.
  9. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Thanks! Three of my mugs have very similar dimensions, so I just duplicated the step down/taper on two of those lids. Making my oversize chess set gave me a lot of practice on duplicating. If I get ambitious about bowls and lids I had best get some appropriate jaws for my chuck.

GAW9576 likes this.
  10. GAW9576

I've liked the Gem Jr. Bar Elite handle since the first time I saw it. I've been thinking about making a similarly shaped handle for myself and finally got around to making it today.

The brass thread is removable to fit a variety of razor types.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KUSTOM, brit, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  11. jtspartan

That is awesome. Did you use a pen blank, or did you pour the resin yourself? Did you buy a threaded bolt or did you repurpose a threaded top from another handle?

9nein9 likes this.
  12. GAW9576

It's a TruStone pen blank with a little price od turquoise colored acrylic on top. I made the brass insert from 1/4" brass stock drilled and tapped. The male thread is a piece of 10/32 brass threaded rod with 8/24 threads I recut withna die on one end to adapt to the Older SE razor heads. A friend gave me the threaded rod and the dye for cutting the 8/24 threads
    I made him a handle in return. Once he gets it I will post pictures.
    I also made another custom handle but it was not made on the lathe so I wasn't going to post it here.

[​IMG]

Enrico, 9nein9, Tanuki and 1 other person like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

9nein9 and GAW9576 like this.
  14. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Active Member

Lovely handles indeed, mate.
    Carry on!

GAW9576 likes this.
  15. GAW9576

My new friend has received this handle so now I can post pictures. He kindly sent me the die along with a die holder and some brass threaded rod for making adapter screws.
    He didn't expect anything in return but I wanted to make him this handle in return.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KUSTOM, Tanuki, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  16. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Sunny and low 70s today. Time to turn outdoors.

Black walnut and black badger, stubby
    8282B50A-3614-4194-A281-D77FC127CF3B.jpeg

Pearwood and mixed badger/boar knot. Shot from a flattering angle. I wanted a big knob at the bottom, for the barber with large hands. Now I really want that knot to bloom and balance it out.
    377FCFAA-98F4-46BF-8B1C-0BA35E272CB1.jpeg

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    9nein9, KUSTOM, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  17. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Shop clean up week...
    [​IMG]
    Bits of chopped up resin overpours here in a very lightly pearled clear resin.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Shavings from a previous drill-out in clear resin. There's a tiny bit of thinned out Purple Pearl on the bottom. This one is extra tall because the blank looked so cool I couldn't bring myself to cut it down to the usual height. That's a chunk of Sapele on top. Beautiful wood- one of my favorites.

It's good to use up this stuff I've been pushing around for so long.

Tanuki, 9nein9, canoeroller and 4 others like this.
  18. jtspartan

That is a great idea! I haven't thought of keeping the little chunks around. Sapele is a personal fave as well, I've used it for quite a few brushes.

9nein9, KUSTOM and GAW9576 like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The first one looks like old fashion candy the second one is just plain beautiful!!

:eatdrink013:

Tanuki, 9nein9, KUSTOM and 1 other person like this.
  20. GAW9576

The first one looks very interesting and I absolutely love the second one.

KUSTOM likes this.