Brushmakers Forum- calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Here is a lidded bowl from start to finish from this afternoon. I apologize in advance for the number of pics.

The bowl part can be screwed right onto a faceplate, as it will be hollowed out anyway:
    4E91114E-00BF-4724-8CBC-0EF7D26B9798.jpeg
    The bottom and outside are then shaped. You will notice a recess in the bottom. That is for the chuck jaws to ‘grab’ from the inside. It also enables the bowls to be stacked, even with a rounded top. I sand the bottom as well at this point, as you can’t do it with the chuck in place:
    6366E3E9-6A05-44CF-917F-CFE83200D7EA.jpeg
    Next, the faceplate is unscrewed, and the bowl is turned around and held with the chuck. If you don’t have a chuck, you can reattach a blank and screw the faceplate into it and then cut it off afterwards. The process of hollowing out the bowl now begins:
    4BBADD78-F34F-47A2-AD77-5743451A1803.jpeg
    One note- with a lidded bowl, don’t sand the top edge too much, if it is too rounded it looks like there is a gap, even when there isn’t.

Next it is time for the lid. The faceplate is screwed into a waste backing piece, so that the screws don’t go into the wood. With a wood like this that has a prominent grain pattern, I try to take the lid from right beside the bottom on the same board so they’ll match pretty closely as well.

B8DF04DC-6791-4EC2-B1C3-BCBF50429258.jpeg
    Similar to the bottom of the bowl part, a recess for the chuck is shaped, as is the edge of the lid to fit the inside edge of the bowl. This is so that it doesn’t slide off easily, and so that soaps can be stored better within. Again, don’t sand the edge a ton, or it will not look as clean:
    E91891D7-9191-4F01-AB78-9F40DB0DC6A2.jpeg
    Use the bottom to check for diameter and edge fit:
    058AD98C-45C4-4D64-B826-3B7CDD496FA5.jpeg
    Turn the lid around, use a chuck (or a 2nd waste blank) and cut off the waste blank. I don’t worry about marking it up, as I am turning it anyway. If I was to use a blank where needed to finish it off the lathe, I would take more care:
    EE68976E-84AA-4F55-901A-CA8F71936BC6.jpeg
    Now I turn the top of the lid. I try to match the style of the bottom, obviously:
    5ABF84FF-2C77-49D5-8344-48366BD47030.jpeg
    About 1 1/2 hours start to finish.
    1056CFE0-0EAC-4D8B-981A-001DC70E3C34.jpeg
    And the bowl is now ready for its coats of finish. I use a Urethane finish off the lathe, with light sanding in between. I’ll post a final pic in a few days when the finish is complete.

ischiapp, GAW9576, Enrico and 15 others like this.
  2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Beautiful, Jason!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RyX, 9nein9, jtspartan and 1 other person like this.
  3. 9nein9

9nein9 El Scratcho

Nice job Jason! You're work is exceptionally clean looking. I hope to someday try doing a bowl once i get a few handles under my belt.

AGHisBBS, RyX, jtspartan and 2 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

looks awesome..love how the grains match..

RyX and jtspartan like this.
  5. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Anyone else dying to see what that first one turned into???

6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Here's a some of my turnings. I like to do the stuff on the right (hollow forms). Some are junk some are o.k. Always thought the square bowl on the left would be good lather bowls, give you something to hold on to. I have a bunch of bowls but won't drag them out. I did turn all the fruit in the center bowl.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the opening with my thumb for comparison.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a pic of a burl on a piece of box elder, big enough for a couple of brushes or a small bowl. The pic with my thumb in it is made from box elder burl.
    [​IMG]
    The far right and little ginger jar are local woods Box Elder and Russian Olive. American Elm, Ash and Cottonwood are other locals. Occasionally I'll run across some Maple and rarely Walnut but they're infrequent and small.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    ischiapp, GAW9576, AGHisBBS and 9 others like this.
  7. jtspartan

Awesome work! Love the vessels with the small openings. Very skilled work. Did you shop build a curved scraper to get the inside walls done, or did you buy a specialty tool for it?

8. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I made a couple and bought one but don't use it much. One catch or stupid move and it's toast. If it's on the lathe I consider it broke until it's parted off the lathe and in my hand. I broke a nice rosewood handle last week, of course I just didn't think for an instant and gone. I've broke a lot of stuff.

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, brit and 3 others like this.
  9. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Jason....you make it look easy. Great job and beautiful work.

Keithmax, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  10. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Alumilite is a good product. Not cheap. Very tough.

Keithmax and jtspartan like this.
  11. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    That was a very Dr. Seuss looking handle! I learned a couple of things on that one and would make a few changes next time around.

AGHisBBS, Keithmax and jtspartan like this.
  12. jtspartan

I looked it up a few days ago. I assume you get the 'Clear' turning specific product from them? It says Vacuum or Pressure it to avoid bubbles. I have neither. Is it necessary?

brit, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH! Staff Member

I recall reading about a home made pressurized container for impregnating superglue to stabilize wood. Schedule 40 PVC pipe in 4" diameter is rated for 133 PSI operating pressure & 710 PSI burst pressure. Schedule 80 4" at 194 & 1100. A suitable small chamber might be constructed with a threaded cap for access and a motorcycle tire air valve stem. Sorry for U.S. numbers. I have no idea how that translates to Metric measurements.

14. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yes- I use clear
    Yes- pressure (not vac) is essential with this resin.
    Alumilite isn't the easiest to work with at first, but it turns really well and is incredibly durable. I was trying to break up some small pieces with a 5# hammer and got nowhere!

9nein9, brit, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  15. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Another fun fact about Alumilite- it isn't cheap either.

16. jtspartan

None of them are. I guess exotic woods aren't either, though.

9nein9, brit, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  17. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Nope. Luckily, brushes are small.

9nein9, Linuxguile, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  18. jtspartan

PSI works for me, Rick. Thanks!

19. RyX

RyX DoH! Staff Member

Not like that stuff grows on ... Well, one man's exotic tree is another's backyard shade.

20. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    There's a shop here in town that has a stack of reclaimed Teak from Myanmar. $30.80 per board foot. Most of it is 2X12 so $61.60 per linear foot. So expensive but so nice!

BigMark83, brit, Keithmax and 2 others like this.