Brushmakers Forum- calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Beautiful brushes.

brit and 9nein9 like this.
  2. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I'd really recommend this lathe for small turning.

brit and 9nein9 like this.
  3. 9nein9

9nein9 El Scratcho

Sorry. Meant 3 feet lol

brit, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  4. 9nein9

9nein9 El Scratcho

That was an error on my part Rick. Meant to say 3 feet. This lathe comes with 30+ chisels , Sorby and Henry Taylor.
    Resized_20190323_190622_5646.jpeg Resized_20190323_190659_5037.jpeg

brit, AGHisBBS, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  5. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Those Sorby and Henry Taylor high speed steel tools are very good (and pricey), Patrick. Did you get a price yet?

Frijolero, 9nein9 and RyX like this.
  6. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Isn't that lathe a little scary looking with its exposed pulleys and belt? It would probably clean up nicely though.

As @jtspartan implies, if the price is decent it might be worth it for the tools alone. There are maybe 13 or 14 of them there and Robert Sorby and Henry Taylor tools average about $50-$60 each when new.

7. SWR913

SWR913 Active Member

So I am late to the Party what did I miss .
    I do have a question about finishing , What is the process that works for you best ?

8. jtspartan

I apply finish after the handle comes off the lathe. A few coats of marine grade urethane with some light sanding in between. It seems to be a very durable and nice looking finish. Others do apply a quick drying CA glue or similar in multiple coats and buff right on the lathe.

9. RyX

RyX DoH! Staff Member

Welcome to TSD @SWR913! Glad you signed up and joined the party. If you have a moment, stop in at The Welcome Center and make your introduction. We'd like to hear about your Shave Journey.

brit, jtspartan, 9nein9 and 1 other person like this.
  10. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I would love to go through that pile of chisels!

11. 9nein9

9nein9 El Scratcho

Talked to him last night, he knows value of chisels and wants retail price on them , told him no way Jose!
    Tried to pull the trigger on a King at home depot but they still cant get transactions to go through. Probably caused they pricematched same lathe at another place and will end up cutting $160 off price. My bank said error is on their end . Only place that will give free shipping or even ship it here, 1 place wanted more than cost of lathe to ship. Very frustrating.

AGHisBBS, Hembree, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  12. 9nein9

9nein9 El Scratcho

Well i got the King 1218vs ordered finally and shopped around and bought a chuck, few tools needed , Jacobs chuck, and Robery Sorby Turnmaster with HSS cutters. Hopefully I will be set up for awhile. I'm anxious to get turning again .

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, brit and 4 others like this.
  13. jtspartan

WooHoo! You went all in. Can’t wait to see what you come up with, Patrick!

AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 9nein9 like this.
  14. jtspartan

Ya, no kidding!

AGHisBBS and 9nein9 like this.
  15. 9nein9

9nein9 El Scratcho

Cancelled the turnmaster , ordered cutters and bought hexagon bar. Going to make my own carbide tools ..well the ones that i can . If plan A works I will save a ton of money this way and have fun making them .

16. 9nein9

9nein9 El Scratcho

He says he wants to sell them but what he wants for them is close to new prices . I know what he paid for them and it was peanuts . He's an old friend of mine and buys stuff cheap and asks top dollar for it.
    His son will inherit them some day covered in 3" of dust lol.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  17. jtspartan

Made a different type of Beehive on the weekend:

For those who drill the hole afterwards, this is how it looks with a Sawtooth bit and Jacobs chuck on the lathe:
    EDE93F52-6F47-4597-85B6-6F411DB3644F.jpeg
    Shaped it after boring out the hole. Put the two grooves in it as I wanted to do a textured ‘band’ where your fingers go:
    F674ADCB-7CFE-4E8F-9AF3-F7F1014F54F2.jpeg
    Here is the expanding collet chuck that I flip the handle into so that the bottom can be turned easily:

7A9E05F9-494F-4013-95D1-117400E467F9.jpeg
    I use a few different Dremel bits to get the textured look. It needs to be taped off so that the main body doesn’t get burned and so that the dust doesn’t get into the grain of the rest of the handle. It has to be painted because of the burn marks as well.
    8EE98977-23D1-4A13-A126-6A36CE2EA08B.jpeg

3 coats of finish, with some sanding and voila:
    62490B58-9C98-4924-8BCA-A2BF920B03D1.jpeg

Enrico, Keithmax, PLAla and 10 others like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH! Staff Member

Reminds me of these.
    Century_egg_sliced_open.jpeg

AGHisBBS, Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  19. SWR913

SWR913 Active Member

Does anyone do any segmented wood handles ?

9nein9, AGHisBBS, lightcs1776 and 2 others like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH! Staff Member

Jim @Jayaruh has his Celtic Knot style. Not a classic segmented, but quite the eye catcher.

9nein9, AGHisBBS and brit like this.