Budget Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Michael_W, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Given my recent job-financial troubles, I wanted to talk about budget soaps, that is, soaps that can be bought for six dollars or under. So far the most inexpensive I've seen are Williams ($1.29 at Cleveland-area Heinen's stores), Van der Hagen Deluxe ($1.49 at Wal-Greens), and the Derby and Arko shave sticks (average $1.50). What have you tried, and how did it perform for you?

Daytonkb, RyX, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

All of the above are solid performers for me.

I will add in the Palmolive stick.

Daytonkb, RyX, Screwtape and 3 others like this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

You have my sympathy regarding the financial troubles. Things were incredibly tight with my wife and I were newly married with two children within three years of our wedding. The biggest lesson I learned is that it wasn't permanent, although it took many, many years to get ahead. Budget soaps can be great. I would propose that Tobac is a budget soap. It is a bit more than your price point, but lasts for a very long time.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

4. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Williams. Love the stuff! Good slickness and leaves my face feeling great.

For $1.19 at my local grocery chain, I'd be foolish not to keep it stocked up.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Mike Brown, RyX, brit and 3 others like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've used Derby, Arko and Williams. Nothing wrong with them, good performers.

6. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I have used ivory soap(face wash and lather then rinse and then lather was the companies advice in the 30's),palmolive hand soap(3 pk at the dollar tree) is very slick,Noxzema type face cream is very good and cheap if you buy the generic,hand lotions can be used quite effectively,some of the yardley soaps at the dollar tree are pretty good doing double duty in the shower and the shave den,pears soap is a nice glycerin spice-herbal soap although it can leave skin a bit oily in the summer.A 2-3 dollar bottle of glycerin is an effective additive to the shave mug at the rate of 3-4 drops ,it will last a loong time.And it can be used as a moisturizer additive to your aftershave.Being a frugal guy I have pressed many things into use over the years and made some darn good frankensoaps with cheap glycerin soaps melted and mixed with chipped up tallow soaps.(pears and williams is a good mix)

AlDm, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I think you're set on budget soaps. All of them worked well for me.

Michael_W and Screwtape like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

+1

Michael_W likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

all good working soaps...not tried van der hagen..

Michael_W and Screwtape like this.
  10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

As several others mentioned above, I have used Williams, Arko, and Palmolive in both sticks and creams. All great performers.

Also, while I can't remember the exact prices now as I bought my current tubes quite awhile ago, the Nivea creams and the Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shave Cream are drugstore products that work well, aren't too expensive and last a long time. Finally, still at the drugstore, the Kiss My Face creams are really good, lather with a small amount but come in a big pump bottle, and are a great value especially if you can find them on sale.

wristwatchb, brit, Yehuda D and 2 others like this.
  11. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

No better value than a Palmolive shave stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtspartan, Yehuda D, RyX and 2 others like this.
  12. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

Arko is good and lasts for a long time.

Good luck with your financial trouble. I ain't doing too good too.

Life is like a vacuum cleaner; it sucks.

Screwtape, Michael_W and Yehuda D like this.
  13. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Proraso is also very reasonably-priced and good.

14. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

C.O. Bigelow from one of the bath and body works type stores.

15. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Razorock 3 puck set. 3 soaps for $8.99 and they are very good soaps.

16. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I am also a bargain hunter. All of the advice above is good. Earlier this year, Discount Drug Mart had Williams Mug Shave Soap @ something like 2 for $1.50. Williams is great shave soap.

But you should also experiment with moisturizing body soaps like Dove. I have used a few of these with good results. They may not have the great scent of some artisan shave soaps, but can provide excellent cushion and glide - especially if you use a pre-shave.

I recently found an Amish Farm Bar Soap at a Marc's store that was $3.79 for 36 ounces of soap. This turned out to be an excellent shave soap with a mild floral scent. Great bargain IMHO
    20181030_205147.gif

17. RandySP

RandySP Member

De Vergulde Hand puck - Really slick and great lather.

Derby bowl - Yogurty like lather with good protection & slickness. Cool ice cream bowl too.

18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I know you want soaps that are under $6, if I may add a soap like Soap Commander sells for $15 or so but will last a very long time. Plus you get an awesome soap.

wristwatchb, Michael_W and PLAla like this.
  19. RandySP

RandySP Member

I read somewhere that Soap Commander ignores the questions from clients. If it's true, then I wouldn't give him my business in any way.

Even Douglas Smythe, who had back in the day been banned from some forums and many wet shavers didn't want to buy his products, he tries his best with the customers and answers in all questions and comments. He even answered in my email a year ago to explain me some things about his products.

Michael_W likes this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I don't know about that, I would reach out to said vendor on your own and not rely on what others gossip about. You never know what someone's intentions are.