Bundubeard Rooi Afrikaner review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by matthewoli98, Aug 1, 2020.

1. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

Bundubeard's Rooi Afrikaner is one of their tallow based soaps which differs from their standard range which uses a glycerine and clay base with coconut oil. The original formula is a tweaked "boereseep" recipe, the soap itself is very hard so its definitely a soap that will last you quite a long time. The soap features rooibos infused water in the recipe, so that contributes heavily to the excellent scent which i will discuss in detail later on.

Over the last week or so I've used this soap on 3 occasions, all with my omega 49 and it produced super slick lather perfect for aggressive razors. I genuinely think ive found my local alternative to arko which has been my favourite soap for over a year now, and i think i may have a new favourite. Without further ado, lets get into the nitty gritty of the actual review portion of this article.

Scent- 9/10,I'd describe the scent as an earthy, rooibos scent, quite herbal but in a good way with mild minty undertones, after lathering the scent becomes more floral, definitely a very sophisticated scent and i can't see many people not loving this scent.

Lather- 8/10, takes a bit more work compared to the glycerine based bundubeard soaps, but it still lathers far better than many other soaps.

Slickness- 9/10,This is where the bundubeard Rooi Afrikaner shines, it has fantastic slickness, two or three points above that of the standard glycerine base with the lathering only being 1 to 2 points lower, for me slickness is way more important in any case, so i definitely prefer the tallow base although i love both the glycerine base and tallow based soaps they stock.

Residual slickness-9/10, fantastic residual slickness, more than good enough for touch ups with mild razor although I'll always recommend re-applying lather.

Packaging- 10/10, bundubeard always strives to use environmentally friendly packaging when possible, with all their in house soaps being available in refills, the label on each soap container is a literal work of art.

Price-10/10, for an artisan soap you absolutely cannot find a better value for money option, at 95 rand ( 5.8 dollars at the time of writing)(180gr puck), its a fantastic proposition value wise.

Conclusion- all in all, this soap has a price to performance ratio which is hard to beat, and it definitely has a scent which can easily compete with the best artisan soaps out there, so it gets a huge thumbs up from me.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thanks for the review, Matthew. Too bad most of us will never be able to try this brand.

matthewoli98 likes this.
  3. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

Never say never, in future maybe they'll export, and if not just suck up to South Africans.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk