Burma Shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by HoosierTrooper, Sep 22, 2013.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Back in April I found this Burma Shave mug and soap for a buck at a Salvation Army store. I have another mug and puck that I paid $5 for last summer at a flea market that is similar, except the sticker with the name on that mug is textured, this one is smooth. The two soap pucks appear identical. Note that tallow is the first ingredient listed on the box.

I grated the puck into a Ziploc container and gave it a go this morning with the ER 300PBT/TGN finest badger and I have to say I'm very impressed with this soap. It reminds me of the older formula Williams and Colgate soaps, very light scent and an outstanding feeling lather. I would definitely grab more of this if I ever run across it in the wild at a reasonable price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Tom, you seem to find the neatest stuff at thrift stores. All I have anywhere close to me are Goodwill outlets that never have any shave gear.

offroad64 likes this.
  3. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Nice find! I have a Burma Shave mug (with the textured logo) that I got with a brush (that eventually died), and soap at Wal-Mart back in 1999. I used that soap for quite a few years. That and Colgate were my favorite soaps back then (the first soap I used was Colgate...back in 1993). Good stuff!

4. HoosierTrooper

Used it again this morning, this time with an Ace Shaving boar equipped ER and it lathered every bit as good as it did with the finest badger, if not better.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

You are the luckiest guy ever or have nothing else to do except shop for shaving goodies. Color me envious

And now I gotta go looking for Burma Shave soap!

6. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

I wish I had your luck finding the cool stuff. :)

7. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Big time congrats on the double find!!

Thanks for the report and the update too!!

8. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

Been wondering about Burma soap, now I know. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for some.

Thanks for the review!

9. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Good luck it has been discontinued for some time. :angry017:

10. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

Wonderful world of thrift stores or antique markets you never know what kind of shaving supply or equipment you will run across! Nice find!

11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Tom, you have the best thrift stores on the planet there. I've been stopping by the local Goodwill occasionally and there's never any shaving stuff. I'm going to keep checking though.

12. HoosierTrooper

Thanks all. Yeah, I do have pretty good luck at the thrift stores, but there's a lot of them around here. It's a shame the Burma Shave soap isn't available anymore, it really is good stuff.

GDCarrington likes this.