Butterscotch Collecting

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by markh58, Jul 6, 2013.

1. markh58

markh58 Member

I've been lucky enough to add 13 butterscotch brushes to my den over the past year, including several 50yr+ old Simpsons and Kents. I know many of you own a great more number than 13 but I was wondering what the average number of brushes is in the den of those that collect the beautiful "Butterscotch" ?

So how many do you have, how long has it taken to establish your collection and why did you start collecting butterscotch in the first place ?

Woodekt, GDCarrington and alpla444 like this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

13 an unlucky number, you'd better send me one to avoid bad luck:)

I don't have any butterscotch brushes, but I certainly like the looks of them. I'll be sorely tempted when I run across some vintage butterscotches.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. markh58

markh58 Member

Thought I should have included a pic.
    [​IMG]

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD that is a gorgeous flock of brushes!!!

GDCarrington, BigT and battle.munky like this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

My favorite is still the root beer barrel left of center, front row.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

:signs011:

That Kent on the far right is nuts....

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. markh58

markh58 Member

Thanks for your interest they are....

Back row L/R: Stag B-4565 / Hoffritz 424 / Simpsons #27 / Hoffritz 1346 / Redleaf (Rooney ?) / Simpsons Keyhole 2 / Fuldex (Simpsons) / Kent V-10
    Front row L/R: Simpsons #84 / Hoffritz Barrel (Kent ?) / Klenzo B-985 / Culmak / Rudy Vey

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Very nice collection. I really like the looks of the Hoffritz 1346 hiding there in back.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. markh58

markh58 Member

Your comments are very appreciated but what I'm interested in hearing is what the average number of brushes is in the den of those that collect the beautiful "Butterscotch" ? (Pics please)

So how many do you have, how long has it taken to establish your collection and why did you start collecting butterscotch in the first place ?

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I dont have any butterscotch, but you have a nice collection. I do have 10 brushes that I have accumulated over the last few years including a few vintage and customs and use about half them regularly.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have 14 brushes in my rotation, only one is butterscotch. Nothing against 'em, just happened that way.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, it is very interesting to see a large contingent of brushes that I have either fully restored or reknotted in one bunch.

Here are the ones in Mark's photo that I had a hand in:

Stag B-4565
    Hoffritz 424
    Hoffritz 1346
    Redleaf (Rooney ?)
    Simpsons Keyhole 2
    Hoffritz Barrel (Kent ?)
    Klenzo B-985
    Rudy Vey

I want to first thank Mark for allowing me the opportunity to work with him on these great brushes. Now for my collection.

It is interesting that I had only one partial butterscotch before Mark asked me to start the restoration / reknotting process. That was a Rubberset 153 that I had for a long time. After that came three other brushes in rapid succession, and one was also a partial butterscotch. All of those brushes were Made Rites. All of the brushes were 1950s vintage.

Now one more was brought into my group and I have Mark to thank for it.
    I have been waiting for an appropriate time to thank him publicly for the gift of a NIB Kent V7 brush. Mark, I just want to thank you for the beautiful gift my friend. So in this photo it takes center stage.

[​IMG]

Again Mark, thank you very much!​

178-bplatoon and PanChango like this.
  13. markh58

markh58 Member

You are most welcomed and most deserving my friend. Very pleased to hear how much it means to you.

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I don't own any and you've got me drooling. Beautiful brushes!

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

Couple I'm getting ready to update the knots in. Pics from my purchase photos. I'll update when the brushes get updated. I'm partial to the shorties! Butterscotch is my personal fave handle for some reason. So cool and different! Don't have a clue how old mine are. That's a fuller next to the ever ready. I'm on the fence about re-doing the hair in that. And the top is a duro-built 310. Probably the only brushes I'm looking for from now on, are butterscotches. That kent knot sure has a unique shape! I LOVE that barrel!

[​IMG]
    If that ain't butterscotch, I don't know what is!
    [​IMG]

178-bplatoon and GDCarrington like this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That ER looks like an interesting candidate to restore.

17. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

Yea, it's a lot smaller than I anticipated, once I received it though. It has the letters IRREG stamped on the bottom, I assume because of an irregular problem in the processing of it. That weird mark you see on the side is actually in the material, that you can't feel with your fingernail, when scratched, so I assume its an IRREg. The hair although a little too soft, is surprisingly in good shape. Cool little brush that's too small for me though.

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This may be a Catalin brush and the dye was not able to evenly penetrate a spot before it was finished, hence it is smooth to the touch but still shows a white streak.

19. Shellbriar

Shellbriar Member

Gotta say that I love your collection! Unfortunately I have no butterscotch brushes but I've been inspired by your pictures to get into the hunt!

A man's always in search of something,
    IronMike