Buyer Beware!!!!!

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DaltonGang, Apr 20, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I just received two NOS bottles of Shulton Old Spice. They were both advertised as Unopened. I spent, what I thought was fair for the both, and purchased them from the same seller. When they came in the mail, today, I opened both. I do this, because I have heard some people scam, and swap out aftershave contents.
    I opened the Telescope Decanter, and it was bone dry, empty. Not even a scent of the original stuff. I was not happy.
    Next, was the Shulton Old Spice Canon. It was full, but the cap was on it very tight. I figured 50 years can do that. I finally opened it, dabbed the liquid on my finger, and rubbed it on the back of my hand. I do this with every aftershave I get, just to be certain it is legitimate. When I did this, it had no scent. It was Water. Not even a hint of Old Spice. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
    I didnt think the seller knew, or both would have had liquid in them. So, I contacted him, and within 30 minutes, I had a full refund, and apology, and now two Old spice bottles, without old spice. I thanked the seller, and told him I didnt think he knew about it.
    So, what to do. I already have a Telescope like this, so I might just PIF soon.
    The Canon, I think, will be emptied and replaced with the Real Shulton Old Spice. I have a few plain bottled around.

Anyone else have an experience like this??

P4200146.JPG

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That is incredible. I received a vintage Pinaud Lilac Vegetal, advertised as 3/4 full, original juice. Got it in the mail and whatever was in the bottle was anything BUT the Veg. Gross. Poured it out and refilled with the real stuff. The seller denied any knowledge and thinking back on it, I should NOT have hastily poured out whatever was in there. It happens. Yours turned out ok.

Jorvaljr, RyX, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

For as much stuff as I’ve purchased online, I’ve been extremely fortunate and rarely had a problem.

The one or two issues I had could have been prevented with better packaging but the sellers made immediate corrections so I was satisfied.

Weasel640, RyX and Jim99 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

*sigh*

Never thought I'd mention this on the Den but why not.

About five years ago I bought a bottle of O.S. Leather. I do believe it was urine, it smelled so bad. Rancid. Putrid.

Other than that, the worst experience as a buyer was a Parker 21 I bought from some superstar seller in Vegas. Pen functioned but the barrel of the pen had a considerable crack not disclosed either in the listing or the pics. He said he would not refund me, too bad so sad, because he had enough feedback (several thousand at least) that he didn't care to make it right, and besides, he called it "used" and "as is." I didn't report it but should have. Total scumbag thief.

Worst experience as a seller, more recent than the pen episode, was a full bottle in sealed package of some pretty rare ladies perfume from the '80s. Shipped CONUS, excellently packed. No way damage could occur short of the American Tourister gorilla getting ahold of it. Buyer insisted it was empty when it arrived. It wasn't, but I had no choice but to refund because I'd since learned that Ebay almost invariably takes the buyer's word on such matters.

But the OS bottle of (probable) urine is the one that sticks in my memory. I still don't know what OS Leather originally smelled like but I cannot conceive it going as bad as this stuff went.

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Stories like this is what has held me back from buying vintage aftershave online.

Urine? Yikes!

:shocked003:

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Did it smell exactly like urine? No, but there's no way an a/s could go THAT bad, and the stuff was...the right color...

I'm going to bed now.

RyX and Jim99 like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I can assure you OS Leather does NOT smell like urine. Crazy story.

RyX and Jim99 like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I always sniff my new bottles of listerine mouthwash before I use them.

Alan Henderson and RyX like this.
  9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

OS Leather is a blast from my past. I bought a full bottle of it a few years back and it definitely did not have the scent I remembered.

I suppose in the future I will continue to use Clubman Special Reserve.

10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I think I have had an experience with the same Vegas based seller, years ago ... mine was a Sheaffer TD, which (IMO) was definitely not as advertised.

That was the only time I really felt betrayed by an eBay seller.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

That sucks! I ordered stuff that never arrived. I had to get eBay involved and after a month I got my refund. I also bought some stuff from an eBay seller who sold me Broken razors and broken cases and stated it was used but displayed them as if they were ok. Sometimes you just don’t know who you are dealing with or how they will treat you.

FYI,
    I’m diggin that telescope ... ;)

12. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Right this drives me nuts. I normally ask sellers to check that the lid is tight and to add painters tape or something so the lid won't turn in shipping. I also ask them to put the bottle in a Ziploc or like bag.

Even after such a request I once received a circa 70s Aqua Velva bottle (originally full). The person had simply left it in the original Holiday Box, and tossed it in an oversized shipping box with those air pockets. It was obvious that the air pockets did absolutely nothing, and the item pretty much was throne around in the shipping box the whole way. When it got here the Holiday Box was soaked, beat up, and the bottle was less than half empty. I sent it back for a refund. But was really disappointed because if they had just done any one of the steps I had requested it would not have happened.

Like the Telescope Decanter, I once receive an Avon Bottle that was bone dry. It was one of those Army Jeeps in Spicy, pretty hefty bottle, came with the original Box and accessories still in the plastic. So by all appearances it looked new old stock. I didn't think the seller had intentionally listed it wrong. I had gotten it at a steal (even being empty), they had even paid extra on the shipping. So I told them about it so they would not make the mistake again, but made it perfectly clear that I did not want a refund.

This was totally a scam. This person was more than likely a resale vendor, they either resell or re-bottle and sell the items they ask for a refund on. They take advantage of the buyer protection. But as a seller if you keep your cool and document everything eBay and/or PayPal will side in your favor. This video is a good example of what happened in your case and an outcome in favor of the seller.:

gorgo2 and Jorvaljr like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I watched Ebay for a solid year, saved a search for that very perfume, but never saw it come up. I still believe I got ripped just the same.