Buying bulk blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sas71, Jan 8, 2009.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

looks like some good deals on ebay, any place else ?

2. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

How many do you mean by bulk? I buy mine in lots of 100, and a lot of the vendors who sell blades will sell 100 packs - razorandbrush.com and westcoastshaving.com are 2 that I recommend. I never know if eventually I might find something better, or if I will come to dislike one, so I hesitate to buy more than 100 at a time.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

What blades are you looking for? Ebay has some great deals, but some fakes, and bad apple sellers, so be careful. A large number of blades have good deals at www.razorandbrush.com. I recently purchased 100 Astra Superior Platinum blades from justbueatysupplies.com for under $20 shipped. Biggest thing I would avoid is order 100+ blades of a blade I didn't know I really like; even at a low price buying blades that don't shave well isn't a good deal.

4. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Here are links to two sites with very large selections.

Tryphon aka Razor and Brush

Connaught Shaving

Tryphon is located in Florida and Connaught Shaving is located in Great Britain. From what I have been told Connaught has great prices and low cost fast shipping.

In either case you get the largest choice of blades.

If you have not made a decision on what is your best blade I recommend buying the largest blade sampler pack from Tryphon. It is also the cheapest sampler packs. And Gio, the owner sells all the blades he has in his sample packs.

Another idea in choosing blades is to check out Squires's Blade Reviews found at SMF.

Good luck in your search for that bulk bunch of the right blade.

And Welcome to TSD!

5. sas71

sas71 Member

i may have jumped the gun on this question since i havent fully switched over from disposables yet. im still taking notes so i dont know what id like. when i order my razor (from tryphon) im going with the small blade sampler (45 blades). i saw on ebay i think 400 Dorcos for i think it broke down to like .07 cent a blade so i thought id ask about other good deals on bulk blades.

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Is there a particular blade you are looking for?

7. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

+ whatever we're up to on the sample packs.

I've only used West Coast Shaving, but the other two major suppliers come recommended.

I've also only bought in quantities from WCS, not from ebay, so I can't help there.

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Definitely try the sampler first. I had the same sampler and it was fairly good overall. Only a couple blades I didn't get why they are included. A warning about the Silver Star blade, it requires the same respect as a feather. Don't fear either of them, just use an extra light touch as these blades don't forgive bad technique.

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I would suggest ordering a larger sample pack. There are just so many blades out there.

10. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Me, too!!

It turns out that what works for one person doesn't work for others, and that doesn't even include that what works in one razor for one person doesn't work in another razor for that same person.

Here's an example. As a gross overgeneralization, Derbies and Israeli Crystals seem to work very well for lots of people. For me, Derbies are a disaster and Crystals have become my blade of choice (so far).

[DISCAIMER: I appear to be in the vast minority on Derbies, so I'm not warning anyone away from them. They're just my personal case study.]

Derbies are very often recommended--for very good reason, from all I've read--as a great blade for newbies, but also a blade that you might never outgrow. Had I not tried a sampler pack, though, I might have ordered 100s of Derbies, based on very good recommendations, that sadly just do not work for me in my current Merkur HD. I just scored a PIF of some razors from Smoke and Zook and bought a SS from Steve. (Thanks again, Gents!) So, I'll revisit Derbies in those razors.

Punch line: Sample packs are pretty much mandatory to help identify good blades that work for each individual.

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'm with Bryan. I dont like derbys. Or any of the other popular blades. A year ago when I decided that all those popular blades werent for me I had never even heard of the blades that I use now. The Gillette 7 o' clock yellows, Astra superiors, Irridium supers werent even talked about.

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The 7 O'Clock Yellows and Astra Superiors really seem to be gaining in popularity. They are my favorites I find Derby's are decent for one shave and barely usable the second. In terms of "popular" blades, I like Dorco 301's and Crystals, but neither as much as Astras. 80% of blades are similar to me (decent shave with either mild irritation and/or a light stubble left everywhere), 10% are really good (see above), and 10% are terrible (Tiger, Wilkinson).

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

jason (dridiot on ebay) sells certain blades in bulk, i dont remember which at this point. hes a great guy to buy from.

14. sas71

sas71 Member

so many blades, so little time and money

15. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Good to know. Thanks!

16. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

Since you've just stated DE shaving I will suggest not buying any in bulk until finding blades that are right for you. The TSD Store has a fine blade selection at reasonable prices. I highly recommend Derbys to start with.
    So many blades to try and only one face. :signs131

17. mezz524

mezz524 New Member

Guys,
    I been shaving for a while and tried a lot of different blades.
    I shave with a HD and i find out that my togo blade is bic's.
    But the more i read the more i see that no one ever says anything about these blades. I find them more superior and smother than any blade i tried in my HD.
    Also i can use them 3 times with no burn or irritation . I read what squire had to say about this blade.
    Any comments on this blade. Anybody else use them.

18. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Don't have an HD, but the BIC's work well in a Fatboy. Rather harsh in a SuperSpeed or Knack.