Buying SR off EBay...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Chief Running Bare, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Chief Running Bare

Chief Running Bare New Member

Ebay seems to have a lot of Safety Razors going really cheaply - bidding starting at $0.01 on many of them - and many Buy It Now s at as low as 99c.. are these any good or best avoided?

2. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

On evilbay, it's always "Buyer Beware"

3. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

You can pick up a good deal but you also have a bunch of Razor Sharks that buy them all up to resell at stupid profits. Set your sites on a razor and play the stupid reindeer games along side the sharks and hope you win:)

4. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

There are a few bids that start at .01, but I can only think of one seller who starts them that low and they end up at least double what the going rates are so don't count on getting good deals with those and I have never seen any razors with .99c buy it nows. With that said, you can get some good deals on ebay if a seller doesn't know what they have and the pics aren't good, but your taking a big risk. My advice to you is to look in the classified section here because there are awesome deals day in and day out here. I think you should watch ebay w/o bidding for a month or two just to see what razors are going for at the end of the auction. You also need to know all of the basic razors by looks because there are so many on ebay that are mislabeled and not in good shape.

5. mmack66

mmack66 Member

those cheap straight razors usually aren't even worth the low price. the forums over at straightrazorplace will have some good info.

6. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

Patience is definitely a virtue when shopping on eBay. Remember, no matter how special an auction item may appear, another one just as nice will turn up very soon in another auction. I recently went over three weeks waiting for an injector razor of sufficient quality and reasonable price to turn up. I lost many auctions by refusing to go above what I felt was fair market price for the razor.

Always check the shipping costs, some less than scrupulous sellers try to sell cheap and make up the difference with exorbitant shipping charges.

Don't bid on anything that has a less than clear photo. Also, many sellers know and care nothing about razors and may be selling them in unusable condition.

Buying from one of the members of the message boards is always a good choice. I've never had a problem with any of the several purchases/trades I've made with members of the shaving community. These are people who know and care about razors, don't sell junk, and know the true market value of the product they have.

HTH.

Regards,

Dexterous