Buying vintage DE razors online???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ijustmissedthe50s, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I do not yet own a safety razor. Before tarring and feathering me, I'd like some input. What are the chances of a vintage type razor would be in good enough condition to buy on, say, eBay? I look at the pics but they sure wouldn't be helpful with knowing mechanical or fitting issues. I know, you can pick them up extremely cheap, but I don't feel like ordering a dozen to get one good one. Is it worth buying a De razor online (tto or 3 PC)???

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I've bought several with no problems. Keep an eye on the classified thread here on the Shave Den. The peer review keeps people honest and if a razor has any issues they will gladly point them out in the descriptions.

RyX, LOOT and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

You have to dig a little, but there are reliable sellers on eBay that do the diligence of cleaning and conditioning the razor; and, then fairly representing it's condition. Look very carefully at the pictures and ask questions. A lot of eBay sellers are antique purveyors that don't know much, but will do their level best to answer your questions. There are really superb resources on The Shave Den, so, make good use the people and articles here.

I tend to buy old razors in lots, unless I am really convinced of the condition of the razor in the listing. When I buy several at once, I am spreading the cost across them all, so, if I get a pretty decent one, then I feel like got a decent deal. But, I don't resell (or haven't yet) and I'm not in it to score a crazy deal. I just don't want to spend big wad of cash. That said, I've sent off some decent Gillette adjustables to refinishers. That ain't cheap, but the results are awesome. I recycle the junk, gift, or put the others in a drawer.

PLANofMAN, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I've gotten several good deals buying vintage razors on eBay.

I've gotten better deals in antique stores and second hand shops but I've also spent time and gas that probably equals or surpasses the shipping costs that I've incurred with online shopping.

Good photographs are your friend. Don't trust a fuzzy photo or an advertisement that doesn't show all sides of the product.

Also be sure to look at the pictures on a good size monitor rather than a phone.

By the way, what particular razor are you thinking of buying? Do you have something in mind?

RyX, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

All good advice.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  6. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

No, I don't have any particular one in mind. I'm dying to switch to DE shaving but am trying to learn as much as I can here to get one in condition to shave with. I love the idea of a "vintage" one if possible, but don't have a brand or style in mind. Btw...Thanks for the tips and experience!

RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have bought a number of vintage razors on eBay. I prefer to do the buy it now option to the auction one. You just have to know what you want. You may want to start with a super speed or even a slim adjustable. The Schick Krona is a very nice vintage razor. With the exception of the slim, you should be able to get a nice razor for $20 or less.

RyX and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

I took a chance on a gillette h-3 adjustable for 15 bucks on e-bay. It is now my main shaver. Awesome. Sometimes ya got to bet on a long shot.

9. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

Ive bought a few online and got some great deals. Only bid on ones with good sharp pictures and good seller rating.

My latest score was a Gillette slim replated by razor emporium, $40 shipped. So yea their is great deals to be found

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

RyX, Terry Williams and ninjack like this.
  10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have now purchased two vintage DE razors. The first below is a G1 Gillette Fatboy. It arrived in super condition and works great. Even though it was very clean I still ran it through a sonic cleaner, disinfected with alcohol and polished it with silver polish and then lubed it. I use it often. The second photo below is a 1963 Gillette Slim adjustable I just purchased today on Ebay. Should arrive in a few days. I'll let you know how it is.
    Fatboy1.jpg

[​IMG]

11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to post, but I think I need to.

I've bought a LOT of razors through E-Bay. Too many :) Here's my take on it.

If you buy a simply constructed razor, such as an Old/Brownie, or a NEW, you can be pretty certain from even bad pictures that it'll be an okay shaver - or not. Look for missing teeth, cracks, or disassembled parts that aren't supposed to be. (one razor looked like a 5 piece - the seller pulled all the bits apart). Techs, especially fat handled, are extremely difficult to damage, other than slightly bent combs - those are easily fixable with a thin flat head screwdriver, or flat (not serrated) jawed pliers.

Where you will have the problems is with the more complex ones - adjustables being the worst, but even TTO's can be iffy. If it has opened and closed photos, it's probably usable (for a TTO). You take your chance on the Slim/FatBoy/etc.

This does NOT cover plating condition. If all you want is a shaver, just clean it and go. If you want a display model, expect to pay more, and look to buy from someone reputable - through a site like this is often better than E-Bay.

It all comes down to:

1) Are you wanting a shaver, or a collectible?
    2) Do you want something you can use immediately, or are you willing to work at it to get it in good shape?
    3) Would you rather it be perfect up front, or have the fun of turning a beater into a beauty, even if it costs more through replating, etc.

---
    To illustrate, I won auction number 311830340704 on ebay. (Just punch the number into the search field)

Look at the left hand razor. Notice that the ends joints are _soldered_. That's what I wanted. I want to have the fun of trying to strip all of that solder off, cleaning it up, and see if I can get the handle laser welded. It's not WORTH that, but that's why :)

In short, if you just want one good enough to use to shave with, you can get a SuperSpeed and/or a Tech - sometime together - for less than $15. Scrub them up, give them an alcohol bath for a minute if you want, and they're good enough for shaving. They may not be pretty, but they'll work. The ones that won't work are usually pretty obvious. If you're really concerned, ask someone (here, elsewhere) who has done more buying/selling on E-Bay, and ask them to suggest a couple of active auctions for you.

I hope this helps.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Keep an eye on the classifieds here. Things pop up all the time. You'd be surprised...

If you're looking for TTO, then vintage is a great choice. The Golden Age of three piece is now. However the Gillette Tech is a classic, and easily accessible, and the New is regarded as a design classic. The Single Ring is the iconic old school three piece, from 1905.

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have bought a Ton of razors off ebay. Very very few have been junk. Just pay attention to what the good folks above me have said.

14. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I've picked up at least 30 on the net btwn Ebay and Esty. Read the description most will indicate if the razor operates as designed. If not you can generally ask the seller questions about the razor. Super Speeds are plentiful - Red Tips too. Just cruise around awhile and read a few listings and get a feel.

15. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I have two Gillette Slim Adjustables and two (with a third one on the way) Lady Gillette Blur Starburst TTO razors I bought off of Ebay, all are in great shape and look very nice for their ages. I prefer them to any of my modern razors. Paid anywhere from $18. to $35. for them plus shipping on some. I think Ebay is a great place to buy vintage razors, you just have to look carefully at the pictures and read the description carefully as well. Also as stated before check the sellers rating and ask the seller questions if your not sure about something. It can be addicting though, before you know it you may have a collection of vintage razors. Good luck!

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Just be picky about what you buy online. Make sure the seller posts lots of pictures and has a detailed description of the item. If buying through eBay, buy from sellers with lots of positive feedback. If you're bidding, know your limit. Don't overbid. There's always another razor right behind it. I've bought about 20 razors on eBay and only got burned once. The seller reimbursed me in the end.

17. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

I agree, be picky and be patient. Its nit hard to find very good condition razors at a decent price.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

18. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Honestly, I like Etsy for vintage razors. You aren't bidding, and some of the shops there the guys know their stuff. Others are the ones who just vent to an estate sale, so they might not know much about the razor, but have a few pictures up and the prices are usually very good.

19. brit

brit in a box

i bought most of my rockets and techs on ebay.i look for mint original examples for good prices.i work on old cars all day so i want a decent razor at least.i do buy nos razors and use them...gently.reputable vendors are key.rebuilt/revamped razors never seem the same as new in my limited experience with them.the buy it now button is good if the price matches the product.cheap means faulty or flawed for the most part but there are deals out there.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Col C like this.
  20. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree. I hit the "buy it now" button as well. Just not into this bidding thing. If the product looks decent along with the price then I'll buy it.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.