by request, what are your favorite animes/mangas?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gatto, Dec 21, 2008.

1. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

edited the OP, I am considering finding another series to dig into this christmas break but I'm not sure what to watch.

2. mhdagley

mhdagley Member

I am in barnes and noble looking at manga what series do I start?

3. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

buy hellsing, all of it. I promise you won't regret it. If you're worried about it read the first one in the store and see what you're getting yourself into (but buy it anyway because you'll want to go back to it later). The books get better and better as the series goes on but even the first one is just great.

4. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Try Gungrave. The story reminds me of Sergio Leones "Once Upon a Time in America"...

5. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I hear they edit the episodes now to remove all references to smoking. Don't know if that's true, but I think it'd be funny if they removed all that evil tobacco and left in all the three stooges inspired violence.

As for anime (I make no distinction between series, OVA, and movies):

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Serial Experiment Lain
    Akira
    Gunbuster (same director and studio as Evangelion)
    Robotech (I know, technically an american product)
    Voltron, Lion and Vehicle (same as Robotech)
    Genesis Climber Mospeada
    Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross
    Macross
    UFO Robo Grendizer (good luck finding this one)
    Mazinger (same as Grendizer)

I'll probably think of more later.

6. mhdagley

mhdagley Member

I got the first one. Not quite ready to drop the cash on all of them, yet...

7. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

I understand, they are definitely worth it though. If you like the style and the story but don't think there is enough action I can promise you the first one is a little kid's bed time story compared to the later books.

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Ninja Scroll? Old School? Eesh. :D

Try anything by Go Nagai or even better, take a look at Tetsujin 28-go (a.k.a. Gigantor) if you want old school.

9. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Old school, not ancient school, bro. ;)

10. Milton

Milton New Member

Monster. Granted I've never read it, but I'm planning to pick it up pretty soon. The anime is faithful to the manga, and I'm a big fan of the anime. Its a highly praised manga.

Description:
    When a Doctor makes the highly controversial decision to save a boy's life over the mayor's, it leads to the loss of almost everything he holds dear. His fiance, his career, his social standing. The only thing he keeps is his own feeling of self worth, knowing that he did the right thing in saving the boy, who came in first. Yet even that is threatened when he begins to learn that nothing is as it originally appeared. A trail of bloodshed pointing to the seemingly innocent child leaves him questioning even his beliefs. Whether, in the end, all lives are ever truly equal.

11. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Dang Joel, you are pulling me in with that description.

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

You sure know the way to make a fella feel old... :eek::happy102

13. bravefish

bravefish Member

Movies-
    Grave of the Fireflies (not just anime, good movie period)
    Cowboy Bebop the movie
    Voices of a Distant Star
    Vampire Hunter D
    Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke... pretty much anything by Hayao Miyazaki

Series-
    Reign: The Conqueror
    Cowboy Bebop

14. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I can only watch this one about once a year or so. Rips my heart out every time.

15. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

The first time I watched it I didn't know it was suppose to be that sad, I was by myself and it was really late at night, jeez did I cry a lot.

16. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, The Cat Returns (seeing a common thread, here?) even the dear old Totoro. I made my daughters some soot sprites, once. Oh, and Barefoot Gen.

I picked up a Graphic Novel on Arsene Lupin after having read some of the original stories, and enjoyed it as well. (Speaking of Graphic Novels, I really like Warren Ellis' Fell, though it's not Manga.)

17. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I had no idea we had so many anime fans. The ghibli stuff is always spectacular, but I have no idea how I could pick a single favorite.

18. JimR

JimR Active Member

The answer is "Nausicaa of the valley of the winds."

Problem solved :D

19. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

The english version, with Patrick Stewart??? eh... maybe!

20. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

updated the thread, but this time I added an american movie :eek: it definitely belongs in here though.