by request, what are your favorite animes/mangas?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gatto, Dec 21, 2008.

1. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Bugs Bunny

If I was forced to watch a Japanese cartoon of my choice, I think I would choose Hikaru no Go

Those of you who watch these: do you understand Japanese or do you get voice dubbing?

2. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

I don't know enough japanese to follow an undubbed cartoon without subtitles but normally I watch japanese with subtitles usually just because they are easier to find.

3. JimR

JimR Active Member

When I really want to understand everything, I get subtitles. Otherwise, I just watch in Japanese.

I would rather miss the story than watch ANY non-English movie with Dubbing. I personally feel dubbing is a sin. An unforgivable one...:mad:

4. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

I wouldn't go as far as a sin, although they did destroy Advent Children and bleach. Some things are better in english, FLCL sucked in japanese. FMA I can watch either one, ed has a better voice in english but overall I prefer japanese on FMA.

5. Milton

Milton New Member

Lets bring this thread back to the top.

As for subbing vs dubbing, I don't have a clear preference, I typically watch whichever seems better. Cowboy Bebop had a great dub. I have switched from dubs to subs b/c the VAs were terrible, but I've also gone with some dubs b/c I can't stand the japanese VAs. Nowadays though, I typically watch mostly subs b/c its a little easier to get my hands on.

How about a little recommendation section?

Kaiba:

What if we could transfer our memories from one body to another? Delete bad memories and implant good ones? Would you know that you are yourself and not a manipulation from someone else? Would bodies define who you are when you can transfer into another one the next day or are they a commodity? Would you know the person you love if they transferred bodies and would you still care for them?

(From ANN) Kaiba One day a man, Kaiba, wakes up in a broken room. He has no memories, only a pendant with a picture of an unknown woman. Outside of the room are grotesque floating electrical clouds of disjointed memories. Kaiba is suddenly assaulted, and escapes into space. He travels to various planets, encountering various people and retrieving his memories. Memories of an inconsistent and decaying world, of his own agony and of Niero, the woman in the picture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OH1ObXl1NI

Mushishi

This one's very episodic are similar in the style to story telling as Kino's Journey. I originally watched both of them right after each other and actually slightly prefer Mushishi.

(From ANN) They are neither plants nor animals. They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as "Mushi". Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them. Ginko is a "Mushi-shi" who travels around to investigate and find out more about the "Mushi". In the process, he also lends a helping hand to people who face problems with supernatural occurances which may be related to the "Mushi".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiRBReqm0Mw
    (with music by Radiohead)​

The entire series of Mushishi (dubbed) is actually on Hulu right now. Its actually a pretty good dubbing. http://www.hulu.com/mushi-shi