C-MON "Blackie". By Peter J. Michel's inc.

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Jun 29, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

C-MON Blackie
    Peter J. Michel's inc.
    Brooklyn New York
    Made in Germany

This blade is in rough shape, as well as the scales. The previous owner tightened the scales, and gouged the scales, doing it, driving one of the pivot pins, below the scale material. This means the blade needs to come out, and it needs repinning. It was a good idea to do this anyway, because of rust. Unknown how deep the rust is. These blades are ground super thin, so care has to be taken.

Before any work
    P6281026.JPG

P6281027.JPG

I had to use a very very thin "Jewelers Saw Blade", to cut the pivot pin. Much easier, and less likely, to break the scales this way. It took all of 1 minute of light sawing. No damage to the blade or scales this way.

P6281029.JPG

P6281028.JPG

It is late, and the sanding as well as polishing will come this weekend.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  2. DaltonGang

The blade is as finished as it will get.
    I sanded, and polished as much of the pitting and rust away, as I dared. The blade wasn't in danger of being too thin, but it possibly could have, If I wanted it to be perfect.
    I then decided a high polish wasnt where it was best, so I took it down to a low polish look. Unfortunately my limited photographic equipment reflects flash, too much. So, any little imperfections, not really noticeable, to the naked eye, are magnified. Also, all dark spots, on the blade, are shadows, caused by the lighting. except for the tiniest piece in the middle of the blade, at the very edge of the toe, on one side of the blade, very near the spine. On the bottom photo. Almost unnoticeable.
    The tang and tail end were sanded too, because of rust, and were re-blued. In person, it really looks dark, and almost factory.
    Sorry for the bad photos. next up will be the scales.

P6291037.JPG

P6291036.JPG

3. DaltonGang

Almost done.

I sanded the entire thing, trying to avoid the silver inlays/ends. Interesting finding. While sanding, I found the scale material was made of Celluloid. It had the unmistakable strong odor. After I sanded all the dull areas, inside and outside the scales, the smell went away. I also sanded much of the area that was damaged by a previous owner, at the pivot pin area. I then polished everything out, and it just awaits the re-pinning stage.

P6291038.JPG

P6291039.JPG

4. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Very nice job and a beautiful razor.

DaltonGang and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

very nice sir..

DaltonGang and Hembree like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have a few of these. The shave very nicely. Seem to hold an edge well. I have a cadilac, a blackie(hand made), and C-MON special.
    I also believe my beau brummel #35, and my perfecto to be close cousins to my c-mon family.
    Mine aren't show pieces, but all are great shavers. 20190630_124425_resized.jpg

AGHisBBS, Edison Carter, brit and 3 others like this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    OOOOOO C-MON Still one of those little known gems of the SR world

I collected them for some time, still have 6-7 of them one of my most rare is a 7/8 Blackie, Their grinds are phenomenal

Serious razors, There were the JPM imports and the later Carl Monkhouse versions

Carl - MONkhouse ie C-MON :)

@david of central florida Your Beau Brummel is a Dubl Duck cousin same company marketed and produced them, Myself I think they have a better overall fit and finish over the DD's

Also note the name Deutsch in the as in the famed "Otto"

BRESDUCK INC.
    224 Canal Street, New York City
    Also used trademarks "DUBL-DUCK", "LIFETIME", "NAPOLEON", "BEAU BRUMMEL", "DEUTSCH", "SATINEDGE"
    ca. 1930 - 1952; the firm became known as Pearlduck in 1952

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Edison Carter, brit, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  8. david of central florida

Thank you for the clarification.

gssixgun and Edison Carter like this.
  9. DaltonGang

I too like the C-MON razors grind, a lot. I also have a Beau Brumel, that is just as good of grind. Both are some of the best out there, and better yet, not as well known. The bad thing is, the Celluloid scales took a lot out of commission, especially the Beau Brummels.

gssixgun and Edison Carter like this.
  10. DaltonGang

All finished, and now awaiting the stones. I had to re-pin it a second time. The blade wasn't centered, and there wasn't a way to correct it.

P6291040.JPG

P6291041.JPG

11. david of central florida

I likey, more than just a button can convey.
    Beautiful work.

TestDepth, DaltonGang and brit like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Bravo! Another great restoration.

Edison Carter, TestDepth and brit like this.
  13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Nicely done Scott! I’m glad that mark in the center wasn’t a real issue. You have a beauty there.

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Thank you guys.