California Drought...a few years later

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by HolyRollah, Mar 30, 2017.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I started a thread back in 2014 with some dramatic images of the effects of the drought upon California lakes and waterways. Seven years of little or insufficient rain (plus some poor resource management) created the following before and after images...

See HERE

Over the past 4-5 months, California has had record rainfall and its pretty amazing a difference ONE wet winter can have...
    SafariScreenSnapz013.jpg SafariScreenSnapz012.jpg SafariScreenSnapz011.jpg SafariScreenSnapz010.jpg SafariScreenSnapz009.jpg

Erik Redd, BigMike, RyX and 3 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

3. ColbyBreithaupt

ColbyBreithaupt Active Member

Wow that's pretty interesting. Thank you for sharing this!

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Water makes a big difference in our lives.

5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I guess the really important question is

What is CA doing to retain the water ????

6. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Two comments: First, I think that's my car in the first picture. I couldn't remember where I put it. And second, someone should put the plug in the drain before all that water drains away.

Seriously...good news for California.

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It's like night and day!

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Also @HolyRollah

I was in awe watching drone footage from Oroville during the overtopping period. Amazing volumes of water, carrying almost incomprehensible power, tearing the landscape like a child's sandbox.

9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

The drought affected different parts of California differently. But it's good to hear we have sufficient water and that the ice pack is also at a high level. When you think about how much we depend on our water supply, you see so much waste. Not just for the citizens in our community but from the local and state government as well. Further south in San Diego we have a recycling plant that send over 75% of its water to the ocean because they make so much and there isn't a large demand for it. You have cities that still don't have weather sensors to shut off water when it rains. You will see city sprinklers going off when it's raining heavily. you have people washing driveways . So much waste. The state needs more water storage but they don't do it. It's a shame.

10. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

80% of California's water goes to agriculture. Sure, its nice to have fresh produce, but we also do things like grow alfalfa in the desert and ship it to China. It's crazy. The real solution to California's water issues require legal reform on water rights, but no politician will deal with anything that controversial. Instead, we're told So Cal is still in drought even though we have a record snow pack and the total reservoir level is well above average.

Bama Samurai, Jorvaljr and Erik Redd like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

That's my take in the issue too. Almonds.... In the desert.

BigMike likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Unfortunately, it won't take long for Los Angeles to suck it dry again. Each time I go to the LA area, it gets more congested, and more hills have thousands of houses plunked down on them, and the drier the area gets.