Came across a couple things in the wild today...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Old School, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    So I hit an antique store today and saw a couple things in a case that the proprietor didn't have the key for! It's one of those places with 25 or so sellers under one roof renting space. One was a gillette trac 2 un-opened tin promotional mailer (seen here on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gillette-Tr...266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5892b6893a ). The other was a "Valet Eversharp" razor. The Valet looked like a single edge GEM style and had 2 tiny gears interlocked at the top corner. Asking was $18 on the Valet Eversharp and $4 on the promo mailer. Should I make my way back and swoop them up?...thoughts on the Valet appreciated especially.

Update: found a youtube video:
    Looks cool, but too much work and the Valet I saw didn't have the strop. It was in pristine condition from what I saw in the case though.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I particularly enjoyed the video at the 4 min mark :)
    Poor guy.

Old School likes this.
  3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

They are actually named Valet Autostrop, and you don't have to use the strop, they can use modern blades. Some models take a single edge blade made by Feather and others can use a single edge blade with the spine removed. I'd probably pass on the Valet at that price, they're cheap as dirt on eBay, but I'd snatch up the Trac II for $4.

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I agree with Tom I'd definately grab the Trac2 mailer to add to the collection for only $4...
    As to the AutoStrop:
    You say it doesn't have the strop and that along with the intructions is one of the hardest parts to find in the set...
    Did it have the case,original blades and/or instructions?
    While the Feather SE blade will fit any of the Auto Strops(the blades are a bit pricey)...A modified regular SE blade will only fit some models, a little research will show you which models take which blades and how to modify a SE blade..
    If the AutoStrop is in good working condition I'd make him a low offer on it $5 or so, as AutoStrops are pretty easy to find on ebay and generally can be had with more parts for less money(research ebay)..:)

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    What Tom said...

6. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I love when he cuts his vintage strop in 2 around the 4:20 minute mark. I was just waiting for him to cut his fingers while he was showing the different blades too.

7. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks Folks. Yup the autostrop was it. I left my phone in the car and couldn't get a pic or make not. I reminded myself in my head about every 5 minutes what it was so I could google it later and obviously my aging brain dropped the ball. I'll definitely pass on the valet, but may return for the Trac II tin. Best part of the day was the range of emotion watching that video, I agree the 4 minute mark was the best part. It's like watching a little kid fall down, first you laugh, but then you feel a little bad :).