Camelot Shave Soap - A Review Attempt

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Norseman, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

(Disclaimer: I am no Ibsen, and I am not even a Stephanie Meyer either. But I will try to write down a few sentences about my experience with this soap)

The Camelot soap is actually a shave stick from Turkey. And like most shave sticks from Turkey, it is only natural to compare it to the (in)famous Arko soap. They are both tallow based and they are both rather cheap.

The main difference between the two is that the Camelot stick lacks the world renowned Arko smell. The scent of the Camelot stick is more floral and toned down. I would say that it is still in the cleaner/detergent category, but it smells more like a pleasant floor cleaner and not like a urinal cake.

This soap/stick is a soft soap, and comes in a cardboard box without wrappper or foil to protect it from the "elements". So when you pick it up you leave an imprint of your finger on the soap. And since it is also rather fatty, it is also becomes the title of a Bon Jovi album. :)
    I have therefore squeezed it down into a metal container and is no longer using it as a shave stick.

Building lather with this soap is a trivial matter. I loaded my brush for 30 seconds and was rewarded with an enormous amount of rich creamy lather. After I had enjoyed my three pass shave, I still had enough lather to shave the rest of the family and the neighbours dog if I wanted to.

The soap had enough cushion and glide to make this a pleasant shave. And this is a soap I feel everyone should try at least once.
    Unfortunately it is a bit difficult to get a hold on. I purchased it on ebay a while back at $3.50 a piece
    But at the moment it seems to be unavailable.

So far I think this soap is better than Arko on almost everything. It lathers (marginally) better, smells much better and performance is at least as good.

3-DSC_3409.JPG

2-DSC_3406.JPG

2-DSC_3439.JPG

1-DSC_3438.JPG

2. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Nice "attempt" :D
    The lather looks great

crackstar and Norseman like this.
  3. Shellbriar

Shellbriar Member

Good job! I've never tried a shave stick. Yet anyway.

4. nascarfandan

nascarfandan Active Member

Awesome job on the review. Don't sell yourself short. As for the product itself, looks like yet another item to flare up the AD. Anybody know anyone in Turkey?

5. Norseman

Thanks a lot. :)
    I haven't written anything English since February, so I wanted to get some practice.
    And since I like this soap so much, a soap that does not get much love and publicity, I thought it would be interesting to try and write a review of it.

crackstar likes this.
  6. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Nice review, I don't think I trust that guy with the lathered up face though. He looks way more weasely that the Arko guy.

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You know Ed, you're right. If your sister wanted to date that guy you'd have to have an intervention.

crackstar and Lexicon Devil like this.
  8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

No one would be able to tell, your English is much better than most native speakers. :happy088:

Great review btw. I would try some of this if I could get my hands on it.

9. FloydianDM

FloydianDM New Member

The new version of this soap is named as "Blueness". Blueness received some good comments in our Turkish Wet Shaving Forum, Geltir.com. Some people said that it is better than Arko, however, there are few bad comments. I bought but have not tried this.

Norseman and crackstar like this.
  10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome to TSD, sir! :)

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The only Turkish shaving stick I've tried other than Arko is Tweex which is also a great latherer. It's scent seems very similar - perhaps a bit stronger. The skincare is not quite as good as Arko, however.

12. FloydianDM

FloydianDM New Member

Thank you!

crackstar likes this.
  13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback!! Great job with the written English too!

FloydianDM likes this.
  14. theunnamed

theunnamed Well-Known Member

It is still on the market but not produced anymore. The renamed "Blueness" has a very distinct scent. It may be well liked by the people who are not fans of Arko :)

15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

That was a good review. But I need a new soap like I need an unwanted orifice on my person.

Norseman likes this.
  16. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Very good review. Makes me anxious to try the Arko I have coming lol

178-bplatoon and Norseman like this.
  17. Norseman

Good evening Gentlemen.

Does anyone else have some experience using this soap or the Blueness soap mentioned above?
    I am still curious about any second or third opinions, hence this post :)

18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I think you'll like the Arko Adonis it lathers easily and prolifically. I like to bowl lather so I'll take my stick, slice it up and then mash the cut up pieces in a small Ziploc plastic bowl forming a puck. I'll load my brush from the Ziploc bowl and make my lather in a SS bowl I got off of ebay. You can actually fit two Arko sticks in the small Ziploc bowl. While I do rather like the smell of Arko, I can't wait to give Camelot a try..:)

Adonis likes this.
  19. Norseman

20. Norseman

Camelot why have you forsaken me...?

DSC_8156.JPG

The one on the left are from my latest purchase, while the other one is from an older stock. The differences are huge. The older one has its own distinctive scent. A very pleasant scent that I thoroughly enjoy.
    The new one smells like a toned down Arko.. It's like ordering a delicious hamburger and getting a tofu burger.
    If I wanted Arko smelling stick, I would have purchased an Arko stick, not this Arko imitation.

I need a drink... Skål :)